Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored -- Has Anyone Else Had This Happen?

[ Edited ]

The thought that the OS upgrade may not have solved the bricking/charging problem is very discouraging -- because, as explained below, RIM thinks that problem has been solved. I started this thread a couple months ago when I was in Jordan and my phone bricked after charging all night. I am now back in Jordan having a different problem with a replacement 9930 that I obtained from Verizon after that original problem.

My problem now is that my phone continues to lose its connection with BIS. I have been in Jordan for one month now and the problem has happened to me 3-4 times. Sometimes I've been able to solve the problem by reregistering my phone or by sending myself service books. Yesterday, however, I was not able to solve the problem so I spent over an hour on the phone via Skype with Verizon techs and RIM techs.

During my conversation with the RIM tech, I asked whether the OS upgrade was intended to solve the brick/charging problems. He said that was a known issue which the OS upgrade was intended to address. The fact that it apparently has not fixed that issue is discouraging.

But my new problem, losing the connection repeatedly to the BIS while I am in Jordan, also is discouraging because I'm wasting an enormous amount of time trying to deal with that issue. As I said, it's happened to me several times in Jordan prior to yesterday and on those occasions it's taken me at least a couple hours as I went through various ways to address the problem. Some of those previous problems have required calls to Verizon – while some have not. But in any case, it's used time – and for a device which is supposed to save me tme that's really irritating.

Yesterday, Verizon and RIM went back and forth as to whose problem it was. Ultimately, the problem ended up being RIM's. Here is what I was told (and I am quoting from an email): "BlackBerry devices with the 7.0 software can sometimes disassociate with the BIS profile when the device is being used on a GSM network. 7.0 is controlled by the BlackBerry user name and password in the profile. The root cause of the issue was that the device ID and pin information cleared from profile in error. RIM tech was able to read the needed information and then have it sync back with the device."  In other words, the problem I am experiencing now is not just a one-off but is, again, a known issue.  And yet, having spent all that time on the phone yesterday with VZW and RIM tech support,  once again this morning, I'm having the same problem. I just tried to send myself an email from one of the accounts on my BlackBerry to another and the email did not go through – so the problem once again is happening.  And I received e-mail notice of the most recent postings on this thread, not on my 9930, but on my iPhone 4s, which I now am carrying as a backup.

So if you put both of these factors together – the fact that the OS upgrade has apparently not solved the bricking/charging problem and the problem I'm now facing repeatedly in Jordan with my phone continuing to lose the BIS connection, I'm really discouraged. My BlackBerry has become not a timesaver but a time waster.

As a consequence, because I am in business, and need a reliable device that will actually help me rather than hurt me, I think I'm going to be forced to give up my BlackBerry. I'm not quite there yet – but really the only thing holding me back is my emotional attachment to the BlackBerry, which frankly is not a sound business reason for continuing with BlackBerry.

As I mentioned above, after my last experience in Jordan – with my 9930 bricking – I brought with me this time an iPhone 4s. I don't like it nearly as well as my BlackBerry for writing and responding to emails. But it's had one clear advantage over my Blackberry – during my time in Jordan it has consistently worked, while my BlackBerry has not.

My firm now is asking me why I need to carry two phones – particularly since the iPhone has worked while the BlackBerry continues to have problems. I'm trying to make out the business case for continuing to carry the BlackBerry but, really, the BlackBerry's continuing problems have pretty much eliminated my ability to do so.

I apologize for this very long post – but, as you can tell, I'm getting very frustrated. Any thoughts or comments certainly would be welcome. By the way, I wrote this post on my iPhone, on which I received email notice of the most recent postings on this thread. As noted above, my BlackBerry, having once gain lost its email connection again this morning, did not receive those emails.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored -- Has Anyone Else Had This Happen?

Wow....thank you for your very nice and detailed post. I feel a bit of your pain. Yesterday I also wasted about 3 hours trying all kinds of combinations of un-bricking my 9930. This is the second time my 9930 has done this.  About a month ago I wasted even more time but somehow (being a sort of persistent techy type guy) all of a sudden after several hours with some sort of combination of attempts the phone suddenly rebooted and updated it OS to 7.1.  But this time I have yet to hit that certain combination again and I’m so I’m still stuck.  I do have to say that the OS upgrade is nicer but it evidently it did not fix the bricking issue. 

I was convinced with new OS the bricking issue was eliminated and I would be a happy BB camper for months if not years to come.  I even invested this last week in an extra battery and JM1 charger so I could always have a juiced up battery.  So Friday evening before going to bed I swapped out that day’s low battery with the juiced up one from my new charger.  Didn’t even plug in the phone knowing the one that just came out of the charger was fully charged….went to bed without waiting for my 9930 to reboot since I was convinced all was good with updated OS. 

Saturday morning did my normal 5 AM swim workout and later as I was getting dressed looked at my 9930 and saw the sickening red LED on with that awful long blink we have come to hate.  Then I spent the rest of my Saturday morning screwing around trying to get it booted. No luck. 

Been trying to figure what preference I might have changed since it had been working fine since I loaded the new OS about a month ago.  The one preference I recently did change was the “Auto Off” mode.  After my first brick then my inadvertant successfully loading OS upgrade the auto off was not turned on so I left if off.  Each night before plugging it in (didn’t have the charger yet) I would faithfully do a full power down then plug in the 9930 to charge battery overnight. 

This week I decided to turn on the auto off/on preference so it would shut down on its own.  each evening at 10:30 PM I set it power down and power up at 6:30 AM about the time I usually finish swimming.  I really have to wonder that since it was fine until I changed that auto off/on preference if that isn’t somehow causing the issue.  When I get my replacement phone I will for sure leave that preference turned off.  Anything I can do to prevent 9930 from bricking I’m will try at this point. 

I wonder if the OS is getting confused about powering off/on mode.  When that preference is set maybe when booting it thinks it is supposed be off so it never makes it through boot.  But I guess that doesn’t really makes sense either because whether 9930 goes to sleep or you do full power off the 9930 never actually reboots unless you do a battery pull.

When it bricked the first time I was convinced that it was a weak battery that 9930 didn’t have enough juice to let it boot up or charge thus I purchased an extra battery and charger to prevent any more chances of a weak battery.  I guess I was wrong about that too. 

The only good news is that I actually have Bold 9650 too.  So yesterday gave up and called Verizon and moved my number back to the 9650.  Best news is that 9650 still a Blackberry Bold and I easily linked the BB Enterprise connection back to our Blackberry/Microsoft exchange server.  So all my contacts and email gets synced right back with my 9650.  I don’t lose anything other than the wonderfully fast 9930 plus it’s easier to read and use 9930 touch screen etc.  The 9930 UI is really nice so I miss that and really can tell it is faster than the 9650.

I may drive over to the Verizon store a little later and see about swapping but probably easier to just call Verizon because the people at the store I’m sure will not be able to do anything either.  I probably know more about it now than they do. 

I am hoping beyond hope on very outside chance that someone at the store might have some other trick up their sleeve.  Since they don’t seem to sell very many of these 9930s they probably don’t have a clue ether though. 

I look forward to knowing if anyone else has something new to report???

Contributor

If there is a trick, this thread hasn't seen it. We were all hoping that the OS update would fix this. Very disappointing. This is insane. My Bold is a personal phone. I bought it because after working for employers who always gave me Blackberries, my current employer lets me choose my own. I can't work on the IPhone because of the lack of a hard keyboard, but it was my personal phone for years and I loved it. If I could have the Bold hardware with the IPhone software, that would be my ideal. But as it stands, this phone has an unacceptable defect. What is our recourse besides returning to Verizon repeatedly for a replacement? I now want an IPhone but am well beyond the 14 day return. I refuse to deal with this issue - you all have way more patience and loyalty and I do. Does someone know how to contact the tech press and let them know about this insanity?
Regular Contributor

I think the idea of trying to get the tech press interested is a good idea. There already were articles before the software upgrade about the problem – and the angle now would be that the upgrade does not appear to have solved the problem. I have just sent messages to Adrian Kingsley – Hughes at ZDNet (who wrote an article about a month ago about the problem) and to David Pogue who is a technology columnist at the New York Times. We'll just have to wait and see whether either of them will be interested in doing a story.
Contributor
My Carrier: Verison Wireless

I just sent Adrian another email stating that the new OS upgrade did not fix this problem.  If he responds to my email, I will post something here.  I will never ever buy another Blackberry.  My next phone will be an iphone.  I am tired of being taken for granted by RIM.

New Contributor

I am still trying to be optimistic. This 9930 is so wonderful in many ways when it does work. RIM just needs to fix the darn thing. "Factory recall" like the automakers have to do sometimes and fix the problem and send all users with the issue a "updated" one which in theory is what I guess Verizon is trying to do by replacing them.

I am not convinced that it is hardware. This issue has to be a glitch in the software bootstrap which could be related to hardware but still the software ROM is what usually boots anything and they should be able to modify that boot process. Because of the way my 9930 acts by trying to boot over and over I think it has to be some sort of timing process issue in bootstrap that needs to not let it time out so fast and give up. My belief is that if this was only a hardware issue then how would the thing ever work at all. They didn't find the problem and OS 7.1 upgrade didn't fix it they just thought they did.
Contributor
My Carrier: Verison Wireless

Adrian from ZDNet put up another article on the brick issue today:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/blackberry-bold-99009930-bricking-bug-still-not-fixed/17988?tag=s...

Doubt it will mvove RIM to do anything, but all the publicity can't hurt.

Regular Contributor

Excellent!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900 -> Q10
My Carrier: Fido Canada

I have spent a fair amount of time trying to ferret out the weasel in this bricked 9930 phone issue. Most of my findings from my phone at least I have posted in this thread.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Bold-9930-Black-Screen-and-Red-LED-Only/td-p/...

I would be grateful if someone who has a bricked 9930 could try the software downgrade as I have done just to see if my findings are universal or just a one phone deal.. Thanks for the input...

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Highlighted
Contributor

I think I have good news. Was on a trip this past week, and on the plane my 9930 must have turned itself back on even though I was careful to turn it off to avoid the dreaded drained battery. When I got to my destination, the battery was red-lined. As a precaution, I removed the battery until I was able to get home, and then I charged it right away. It did not brick in the morning!! It happened again yesterday while I was out and about, got home and swapped out the battery for a freshly charged one. It was fine. Granted, I never did receive the "Battery too low for Radio use", but I did get the "Battery drained, shutting down" message. As a precaution, I think what I will do is when I feel the battery is running red, turn off the phone (Full Power Off) or turn off all radio or WiFi communications. Or even remove the battery.