Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored -- Has Anyone Else Had This Happen?

i think that you're right -- that is good news!  On the other hand, we still have some folks who have posted on this thread that their phones have bricked after installing the OS upgrade, so it doesn't appear that the issue is entirely resolved.

As for me, I'm pretty much at the end of the line with my BB.  I'm still in Jordan and have been here about 6 weeks this time.  While I'm here I'm working in an office where the firewall blocks the port that my office e-mail uses -- so I depend on my BB during the workday to send and receive e-mail from my business acount.  During the period I've been here, my phone has periodically lost its ability to send and receive e-mail.  It takes a while for me to notice it  -- but if I haven't received e-mail for 5 -6 hours, then something's wrong.

Generally, I've been able to restore e-mail connectivity myself, either through a battery pull, sending a registration message, or sending service books -- sometimes all three.  But normally, my accumulated e-mail doesn't come through -- just new stuff -- so I have to wait until the evenings when I can return to the hotel, log in on my laptop, and see what e-mail i've missed during the day.  I've contacted VZW tech support about the e-mail problem on several occasions -- as well as RIM tech support.  Finally, I was told that BB OS 7 devices sometimes have trouble maintaining the BIS link when operating on a GSM system.

I've just sent a note to Verizon asking whether I can return my 9930 for full credit (which I doubt) or, alternatively switch my number and unlimited data plan to my iPhone and use my 9930 as my "backup" (recognizing, however, that it is a less than reliable backup)..  I've got to find some mobile solution that doesn't require me to continue to waste large amounts of time trying to get the phone to do what it's supposed to do anyway.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verison Wireless

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored -- Has Anyone Else Had This Happen?

I am with you tech lawyer, I have recommended to the President of the company that all further cell phones be iPhones.  The 9930 is too unreliable to be used across our company.  As the older Blackberry's die, they will be replaced with an iPhone.  RIM has had its chances, but at the end of the day they do not make a quality product and I am tired of playing the waiting game of try the next version of this phone...

New Contributor

Since getting this replacement 9930 from Verizon all has been fine.  One thing I'm doing each night BEFORE plugging in to charge is turn off the phone before pluggin in to charge.  I wait for it to completely power down and then plug it in.  So far no bricking.  Love this phone and if this is what keeps it from bricking I hope I can keep it for years to come. 

Contributor

Same here, although I also have the updated OS, BB 7.1.  So far so good.

It's very annoying that the Kindle app doesn't work on BB 7 though.

Highlighted
Contributor

techlawyer - There is hope for you...

http://n4bb.com/exclusive-bis-and-blackberry-id-to-merge-customers-to-pay-rim-for-bis-2

BIS is going to be unbundled from the SIM card.

New Contributor
My Carrier: verizon

hello...got the same issue with my 3months old BB, were you able to get get a fix for the brick? if yes pls how did you go about it

Visitor
My Carrier: verizon wireless

hi am having the same issues showing reconnecting to jvm how long did u click on retry cos i have been at it for hrs now with no response. thanks

New Contributor
My Carrier: bmobile

When I clicked Reset because of Error 603, nothing worked. Eventually I had to get the software re-installed. That has helped and that was 4 months ago. I also upgraded the software 2 weeks ago and it's running a lot smoother. My only problem, as with some people I've spoken with, is that some files are showing up as corrupt files. Other than that, all programs are working better. Some people recommend not upgrading the software if your phone is working fine. When you re-install it everything should be fine. I also believe that the 9930s from Sprint are a hot mess.
Cryssie
My Carrier: verizon

Hello All. 

I had my phone on the charger (it was no where near dead when I plugged it in). Woke up and the phone began suffering from red light death. Are there any solutions for this? Unfortunately, I'm on pageplus so I do not have support through verizon so i cannot replace the phone. 

I'd like to fix the phone, but I BB software will not connect to JVM. 

Any advice, success stories are helpful.

thanks

New Contributor

What I did is purchase an extra battery and charger.  Keep one battery always charged up.  Had it brick another time recently and because I had a juiced up batter after doing several in/out with charged up battery phone finally came back on.  I had to replace (still under warranty) the phone about 2 weeks later because the power button quit working.  One other thing is I NEVER charge the phone while it is on.  I power it down by holding "hang up" key.  Once off then I charge the installed battery and the other one in the charger I have.  I really like this phone but it does have this odd bricking problem.  Good Luck.