Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930, Bold 9650, Curve 8520, Storm2 9550
My Carrier: T Mobile

Blackberry Bold 9930 unlocked and using on T Mobile - possible service book and IT policy issue

I've had a few BB's before and had some issues with unlocked phones but was usually able to fix it at least to reasonable standards. I recently bought a Bold 9930 secondhand which seemed to have some liquid damage (that I couldn't see at the time of sale) but still seemed usable except for a few issues. I took it to a phone repair shop and had it cleaned out and unlocked and tried to use it with my T mobile SIM card. ( They also said the battery isnt good) Before I had taken it i did notice there seemed to be an icon for text messaging but no option to actually text, no browser option, I also noticed Facebook etc wasn't showing up even though it said it somewhere in settings or applications when I was looked around. I have it back and went into options and resent myself the service books and registered through host routing table and rebooted. Nothing seems to have changed. This is exactly what I see wrong with it right now: 1- text message icon yet no option to text or "compose SMS, MMS" 2- no browser option and error message saying " Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device" ( under Application Management it says last used March 6, 2013 so I know it had one) 3- BBM has error saying "This application has been disabled by IT policy. 4- I can't remove the password. When I go to the option for it under security it's faded out and has a small icon of a lock so it can't be changed. 5- under Application Management I see a couple apps like Facebook that I don't see icons for on the homepage or anything clickable to go to for it. Properties says it was never used. It seems to me that maybe the person had it because of work and the company set it. I was tempted to do a factory set but I'm afraid if I do it will relocate the phone. I also have another small ( yeah right) issue rights now since my laptop finally crashed so I can't hook to a comp to load anything. My nerves are about done for with this and I'm thinking of getting a new battery and posting it for sale explaining everything. Arghhhhhhh! Please tell me there's a way to fix this before I pull the rest of my hair out.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 unlocked and using on T Mobile - possible service book and IT policy issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You have a lot of issues...starting with trying to use a BB model on a carrier that does not natively support that specific BB model number. Typically, carrier networks will not send Service Books to BB model numbers that they do not natively support, which could completely explain some (but not all) of your issues.

There's nothing to add to your BB per se. Using the BB-specific services is a matter of your carrier providing those to you. And there are some things that must happen for them to do so.

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Further, since this is a used BB, you may have other challenges...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If the seller did not properly conduct their required steps (and, from what you have reported, I would deduce that they indeed have NOT done so), then you will be unable to use this BB for full BB-proprietary services on any carrier. If the prior carrier did not release the BB PIN from their BIS system, then no other carrier can create a BIS account for the device and provide BIS services (notwithstanding the Service Book issue discussed above). Further, the prior carrier will normally only accept a release request from their actual account holder...which will not be you, and you might not even be able to fully determine what carrier is holding the BB PIN locked to their BIS system.

In addition, you have an IT Policy issue, which can only be alleviated by one method:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

And you must be very careful when you do so...if, for example, you first take a full backup, and then restore fully that backup after you conduct the ResetToFactory, it will dutifully place the IT Policy back onto the device, and you will be right back where you started. Rather, if you do any backup/restore, you must do that selective, choosing only those databases that you absolutely require (e.g., Contacts, Calendar, Messages) and specifically avoid restoring any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc.

So, all in all, you have many challenges with this new device...the "fixing" of which (if, indeed, it can be fixed) btw requires the use of a computer and cannot be conducted on merely the device itself.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Bold 9930 unlocked and using on T Mobile - possible service book and IT policy issue

Thank you, I did the factory set and luckily everything seems to work except for the visual voicemail, which I'm not sure I'm supposed to have on my plan anyway. Right now I'm working on trying to find out how to get the app world back on the phone and have my BBM switched over.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Diamond_Always wrote:
Right now I'm working on trying to find out how to get the app world back on the phone

Diamond_Always wrote:
and have my BBM switched over.

That happens by, on the new device, logging into the exact same BBID that you previously used. After the ResetToFactory, you would have had to, as part of the initial setup process, associate the device to a BBID...and you needed to have used the exact already-existing one that you previously used, and shift it over to this device.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Ok when I did the reset I did have to sign my just used BBID in just to use it at all. When I go on BBM it says enter a display name and it also asks if I want to restore contact list..... The prob with putting the name in is that I had 2 BBM display names and can't remember exactly how the last was written and when I click "restore using email" it says "checking email status" for a very long time and nothing seems to change. As for the app world I downloaded from the link you posted (thank you because I couldn't find one before) and it said it was installed yet I don't see it.
Hall of Famer III

Diamond_Always wrote:
The prob with putting the name in is that I had 2 BBM display names and can't remember exactly how the last was written

You must...the device cannot overcome the human forgetting their critical information.

Diamond_Always wrote:
when I click "restore using email" it says "checking email status" for a very long time and nothing seems to change.

It could be the failed display name. It could be that the backup never worked correctly. It could be a number of things. Hopefully you backed up your BBM contacts in a different way...see the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for information concerning how backup/restore for BBM contacts can function (pre BBM7...starting with BBM7, there is no backup/restore ability because the entire architecture changed).

Diamond_Always wrote:
As for the app world I downloaded from the link you posted (thank you because I couldn't find one before) and it said it was installed yet I don't see it.

OK...please verify that here:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on the BlackBerry smartphone

If indeed the app is installed, then it's simply a matter of finding the icon. Please activate Show All so that you can see your hidden icons. Please check all homescreen folders and sub-folders. Please check if you have a custom theme running that may be hiding the icon.

Good luck!