Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold AT&T Calls over WiFi

I just got a Blackberry Bold 9000 from AT&T with the Blackberry Data Services.  The reason I got the Bold was so that I could still use the phone in buildings and areas where the normal cell service does not exist, but I have the WiFi service.  The folks at the AT&T store said it should work.  I've tried with a basic non-secured router, and a corporate secured network and can't get it to make calls.  I can get out and browse the internet, and get mail, so I know the wireless connection is good.  Is there something that I need to setup in the phone, or am I just dealing with idiots again at AT&T and need to switch to T-Mobile?  Thanks

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Blackberry Bold AT&T Calls over WiFi

A carrier would have to support UMA in order to make calls over wi-fi. As far as I know AT&T doesn't provide this service, but Tmobile does

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

As I was looking around, that's what I thought.  However, I came across this today while looking for options...kinda vague statement on the Bold 9700

Multitask—simultaneous voice and data when connected to 3G or Wi-Fi

I found this at this link under features...http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/BlackBerryBold9700/

Anyone know any folks at AT&T that can elaborate on that comment?

I would love to go to T-Mobile as I had them a long ways back.  Unfortunately, their coverage here is better stated as non-existant.  If you find a spot that works, freeze! don't move.

I also searched around for an "app" to do the voip, but found when I started digging that most were not using the WiFi but the 3G, and Edge networks to transmit the voip. That's not much help for when there is no network other than WiFi.  Anyone come across an app that does voip over the wireless?  Not sure that's what I want to do, but looking at all the options before I return this on Thursday since it won't do what they said it would.

Elite I

The TMobile 9700 has UMA, but not the AT&T one I believe. I just found this

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/09/08/blackberry-bold-9700-onyx-coming-to-t-mobile-with-uma-wi-fi-call...

If you contact AT&T they should be able to confirm that too

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Contributor

At this time the AT&T store does not know what "Multitask—simultaneous voice and data when connected to 3G or Wi-Fi" means on their Bold 9700 product features page.  They will see if they can find an answer.

Elite I

That's what they told you??? I know the term for it is called UMA. I'm 99% sure they don't support it.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  From everything I have seen, unless they are going to start supporting UMA soon, I don't think they do either.  They have not started selling the 9700 yet, and don't have a date as to when it will be available.  If they find something they will let me know, otherwise, their thought is . . .we will try it to find out when it gets here. Smiley Indifferent

You would think there would be someone at AT&T that would clearly know the product line, and what their plans are, beyond what is on the web.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Contributor

Simultaneous voice and data is what the AT&T 3G network is.  Without 3G you can only do one or the other.  On the 3G netowrk you can surf the web while you talk on the phone.

This has nothing to do with UMA.  You need to go with TMobile if you want to use UMA.

Sorry.

Highlighted
Contributor

I guess it's official. 

AT&T can't explain the statement: Multitask—simultaneous voice and data when connected to 3G or Wi-Fi

that is posted on their web site.  I guess that should not surprise me.  I guess I should not be surprised that the response was a simple line that says they don't support UMA. . .somewhat already figured that.  That was followed by a page or reasons why I should love AT&T.  Guess it's time to go to T-Mobile, where the service isn't any better, but I'll atleast be able to talk to my customers during the day