Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Bold AT&T Calls over WiFi

I use my Bold 9000 on my wi-fi network at home.  I haven't had one problem using it to access the internet or make calls.  And I have AT&T.

That's not really the same thing that we are discussing Wendy, We are discussing "Talking over wifi" which att does not support. You may be talking , but it is not over wifi. Your internet 3G/EDGE connection will default to wifi if its available and that is the only roll your wifi has with att. (at least for now)   Smiley Happy

Just to let everyone know, AT&T is AT&T.  Your on your own to figure out what their products can and can't do.  The phone went back, and I've switched to T-Mobile. 

The T-Mobile 9700 does exactly what I was looking for.  I can make calls over various wireless networks where there is no available cell service.  It has actually worked very well.  Calls have been good and clear even on one network that has very heavy network traffic on.   So with T-Mobile, I can now talk to my customers during the day, and they can reach me too where with the AT&T service, they couldn't.   However, the drawback is the limited cell coverage provide by T-Mobile across the US.  Overall I don't spend a lot of time driving and talking on the phone at the same time, so this is a good move for me. 

It's a shame, but no surprise, that AT&T doesn't have folks that understand their own products, not to mention the cellular technology available in the systems and phones of today.  It's hard to understand with AT&T why they don't move forward with UMA services especially when the providers are all starting to offer unlimited minutes.  This would take some load off their networks, and help those customers that don't have the coverage where they need it.  From a consumer point of view, I see only positive reasons for providing these services.   I'm sure if someone at AT&T knows what UMA is, they probably have a reason, but I doubt that it would make any logical sense. 

So if your looking for UMA support, it appears as of this date, only T-Mobile is the only major carrier that can provide the service. 

Oh, and I like the BB9700 over the 9000 that AT&T provided.  The 9700 is smaller compared to the 9000, and the "trackpad" is much better than the "trackball" on the 9000.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Not that it is of any real help but in following the news of the AT&T/Verizon war and subsequent charges and counter charges it was brought out that the ads "combined" features of different models to make one statement of usage capability in the ads. In order to get the average consumer interested in their products AT&T apparently played fast and loose with the facts as to which phones did what.
Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!