Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
12-05-2008 02:21 AM
Ok. I got a Blackberry Bold, currently with ROGERS but NO data plan.
1) If i am to use wifi with no data plan, do i just go under Options > Advanced options > Browser and select Hotspot Browser ? If it was initially on ROGERS MALL and I previously connected, does that mean they have already charged me?
Under hotspot browser, does it mean I'm using WIFI?
2) I was at a coffee shop and they had this wifi connection with something called BELL. So I connected and top middle of the screen says ROGERS- BELLnetwork..does that look right? If I click on the Browser, am I using WIFI or am I using the ROGERS network if my options was configured under the ROGERS MALL? and what if it was configured under HOTSPOT?
3) Key question right now is i have no idea when I am actually using WIFI or whether i'm surfing on the ROGERS network with them charging me..
4) Do i have to download a specific WIFI browswer? Or which of the following do i surf with--> Browswer, or DO MORE?
Thanks for your help!
12-05-2008 11:21 AM
In few words i answer all the questions.
If you dont have any data plan with Rogers, you can't browse on the Bold using Rogers network.
You wrote you don't have data plan, so , surf all you want, because if you are surfing the web, you are using Wifi browser.
12-05-2008 07:29 PM
I do not think the above would be true as I have managed to connect to the ROGERS MALL while not setting up wifi, which means... Rogers would mean charging mean as I go, no?
Also, how do I differentiate when I am on WIFI or using my provider (ROGERS) network?
Am i able to cancel my internet access to ROGERS, thus, meaning whenever I am connected, it would mean i am on wifi and not being charged by ROGERS simultaneously?
12-05-2008 07:43 PM
Believe me , with only your sim card without dataplan you CAN'T surf on the web.
If you are connected over Wifi, you can see the name of the Wifi service next to the name Rogers, in others words if your Wifi in your home is called Home, you can read ROGERS - HOME on the screenjust top of the clock
I SUPPOSE YOU WAS CONNECTED TO A WIFI CALLED MALL, SO, YOU CAN READ ROGERS - MALL
12-06-2008 10:30 AM