Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold on Mac

I've been looking at the blackberry bold, but I have a mac. I've seen a lot of postings all over the net saying that there is no "Blackberry Media Sync" for windows, but I have windows on my MAC. So, can I sync my contacts and other stuff with the Mac version of blackberry desktop manager and then switch to windows and sync my blackberry with the media sync? Is anyone doing this?
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Blackberry Bold on Mac

I bring to you my personal experience, i have in the office Windows and my notebook is a Mac, so i made the sync with the Mac through Media Sync and is terrific slow, so, i download Missing Sync for blackberry and Mac users and works exactly than Windows.

The problem is not free, but ..............

Here is the link just in case you want

http://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html

Again, this is my personal experience, some users are fine with media sync.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor

Thanks. I was looking at that software. $39 is well worth it, instead of the headaches.

Thanks for everything.

Contributor

Beware! Nothing really works properly for sync with a Mac at this time on the Bold -- and I state this from personal experience and years of Blackberry use, along with Missing Sync.

Blackberry themselves provide a free sync option: PocketMac for Blackberry which you can download for free from this website. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE BOLD. It does, however, work with all other Blackberries.

Missing Sync for Blackberry is the ONLY option that currently "kind of" works with the Bold. It is unreliable and often does not sync new additions to or from your calendars. It does not sync tasks properly. Notes sync well ONLY with their built-in MarkSpace notes program, which is automatically installed on your Mac. Use that, do not try to sync to Entourage Notes.

Also, Missing Sync has acknowledged that it does not work with the (Late 2008) versions of Macbook, Macbook Pro. and Macbook Air. They are apparently working on recoding.  

But MOST IMPORTANTLY -- right now there is a HUGE bug on the Contacts sync in Missing Sync on the Bold which has been reported consistently. It will sync all your contacts ONCE, and then on the second sync, it will randomly erase all of your desktop Address Book contacts except for 60 random contacts. Your Blackberry will be completely correct, but you have no way to move them back to the Address Book. Each time you sync, Missing Sync will "see" only those 60 random contacts it has selected and left on your desktop. 

If you use Missing Sync -- follow the suggested guidelines here:

1) Do not sync with Entourage. Sync natively with Address Book, iCal, MarkSpace Notes.

2) Before you do your first Sync, make sure you have made backups of all your notes, your Address Book, and your iCal....in each of those programs, go to File>export>save archived file somewhere safe like your Documents folder.

3) After your initial Blackberry Sync, DISABLE the contacts field. DO NOT DO A SECOND SYNC your contacts until their coding problems are resolved.

4) After each subsequent sync, manually check to see if the calendar events that you changed have indeed been synced between the two.

5) Do frequent iSync resets: i.e. every couple of days, go to your iSync program (applications>iSync>preferences>reset sync history). Without doing the iSync resets on a regular basis, you will find that the progress indicator shows that you are syncing your contacts/iCal/notes/tasks....but it syncs nothing. 

In short- there is currently NO reliable way to sync your mac with your Blackberry Bold. I have been using the Bold for three months now since buying it unlocked in Europe and I have set up three separate Bolds for my office mates. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has reported the contact syncing problem with Missing Sync.

Contributor

Dammmm... This is horrible. I can't believe that all these problems are occurring.

RonAnnArbor, in your posting you mentioned under "Most Importantly", that the contact sync was a huge problem. Is this the entourage contacts or the mac native address book. 

I am having this issue... All of a sudden. I had used missing sync to sync my contacts to my new Bold, has been working fine. Until I installed Entourage 08... I turned on sync services to sync entourage contacts to Address Book...

Then I just did a sync... all my contacts on the blackberry are invisible... I say invisible because in contacts-->options on the bold it says I have 1066 contacts- yet I can't see any...

Please help

Contributor

This is a problem with both Address Book AND Entourage with contacts.

There is nothing anyone can do at this point. I have had 5 or 6 open tickets with Missing Sync and they have no solutions at this time.

What I did was choose to stop syncing contacts totally. After the first sync to copy everything over to the bold, I unchecked the Contacts sync option. I then had to restore my desktop mac address book from backup (I always backup that data for instances like this -- it's not just RIM and Missing Sync that have had these problems -- Windows Mobile was just as quirky years ago)..

I never sync my contacts anymore. I keep my desktop up to date, and I just put the contacts I need on my Blackberry on there manually from here on out. 

Contributor

This is totally horrible. I can't believe that we have to do all this to make a product work the way it's supposed to. Well, I'm hoping that things get fixed soon. 
Contributor

RIM has stated that they are working on their own Desktop Manager for MAC which should be available in early 2009. We'll see what that brings.
New Contributor

pcoketmac worked partially for me... contacts only though...