Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Clears out Messages

There are a quite a few possible causes for running out of memory on a device causing the Low Memory Manager to kick in and a few have been touched on here already.  Here is a link that describes the Low Memory Manager and how it works.  Below is a short list of the common casues:

- Extra themes loaded => remove unused or extra themes using Application Loader

- Extra lauguages loaded => remove unused or extra lauguages using Application Loader

- Extra applications loaded => remove unused or extra lauguages using Application Loader

- Media (pictures, music, video, etc) saved on device memory rather than SD card => move all media to the SD card

There are a couple other less common solutions that will help prevent you from running into this issue in the first place:  

- Lower the reserved picture memory setting:

1. On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, click Media.
      2. Select a media type (Music, Video, Ringtones, Pictures).
      3. Press the Menu key and select Options.
      4. Reduce the value set in the Device Memory Limit field. This field sets the maximum amount of memory available for all media files.
      5. Reduce the value set in the Reserved Pictures Memory field. This field sets the amount of memory reserved for picture files.
      6. Press the Menu key and select Save.

- Ensure that the Browser Cache is cleared to preserve device memory:

1. To confirm that the BlackBerry device is running BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 or later, click Options>About. The version appears on this screen.
  2. Open the BlackBerry Browser.
  3. Display the menu and select Options.
  4. Select Cache Operations.
  5. Select Clear History.
  6. Click Clear beside Cookie Cache.

For the complete listing and solutions for all of the above check here.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

To the users saying it's my fault this happens because I took "too many pictures", hey, 8830 has no camera so sorry, wrong answer.

I have to do a battery pull at least once every 3 days due to whatever memory leak is in 4.2.2.  There is NO DOUBT there is something worng with 4.2.2, I'm not the only one.  Why RIM refuses to address it is a mystery.  Read more on this subject and extensive long term efforts to troubleshoot it at: http://www.berryreview.com/2008/03/11/rant-my-blackberry-has-lost-its-memory-part-iii/

Message Edited by Andy on 04-05-2008 09:08 PM
New Contributor

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to move files from one folder to another on a Blackberry 8300 Curve?

Also, when you want to delete a ring tone from your Blackberry that you no longer require or are sick of, how come when you highlight the track and press delete, the song title remains but has no track attached to it?

That's very strange. Does anyone know how to get rod of the track all together?

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Regular Contributor

That's a bit of a bug.  Pull out your battery, and reset the device.  The "ghost track" should disappear.
New Contributor

Thanks Ben,

I'll give it a go :-) 

New Contributor

There has been a memory leak problem since 4.2.0 was released. My phone can stand idle and lose 3mb every six hours. Rim doesnt want to address it and I know they know it exist. I have deleted extra theme, ringtones,pictures and delete all off my outgoing anything and only have 16 mb free.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

[ Edited ]

Because of this issue I try to keep my free memory as high as possible. When I do a hard reset on my Pearl 8100, I have over 38MB free. This is with 10 third-party applications installed. When I have lots of e-mails and reboot then it might be around 32-35MB.

There is an excellent post on the BlackBerry Forums (written by moderator John Clark) that shows how to maximize free memory by removing preloaded media, unused languages, etc. I have listed the link below. This might be the best option until the issue is resolved:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-optimize-your-bb-how-setup-max-free-memory.html

Message Edited by JeremyKitching on 04-04-2008 10:32 PM
Message Edited by JeremyKitching on 04-04-2008 10:33 PM
Highlighted
Contributor

I have a Cyrve and 4GB media card and have never had this issue. My mom has a Pearl with media card and has never had this issue as well. It is best to put music, pics, and other media on the card so this does not happen. Other wise just pull battery out with power on to refresh settings about 1 time every 3 days