Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Blackberry Curve 8520 Password Problem

Hello, I would REALLY appreciate some help with a password problem.  I have a Blackberry Curve 8520.  T-Mobile is carrier.  I have had it for about six months.  The device is not affiliated with any enterprise.  Although I use it for work, I have an individual consumer plan with T-Mobile and the device does not run through any corporate servers or use any corporate email.

Last night I was attempting to set up my Blackberry as a tethered modem for my desktop computer, using the steps set forth in an instruction sheet provided by blackberry.com. 

I downloaded the latest blackberry desktop software and began going through the steps for tethering.  Note that at one point I was prompted to create a user name and password, which I did.  It is my understanding that this password if for the modem though, and should not have any impact on the blackberry itself.

Then I hooked the blackberry up to the desktop via USB port.  Note that this is the first time I had attempted to hook my blackberry up to my desktop.

At this point, I believe, I was prompted on the computer to enter a password.  I did so but it did not work.  So I entered on the computer the password that I use on a daily basis to unlock my Blackberry keyboard.  This did not work either.  So I grabbed my device to confirm that my normal keyboard-lock password works.  Rashly, I locked the keyboard (not realizing what a big mistake I was making) and attempted to unlock it by entering my password.  To my dismay, my normal blackberry password would not work.  I made 3 or 4 more attempts before I called T-Mobile.

With all due respect to T-Mobile, the blackberry support representatives were of no help, and in fact encouraged me to keep entering my password until I had made ten attempts.  Then my blackberry would be wiped and, in their minds at least, "all my problems would go away."

When I pressed them on what it actually means to have you blackberry wiped, I found out the ugly truth: all unbacked-up data, such as text messages, pictures, non-simcard contacts and other settings would be wiped out and the blackberry would be as if it was a new out-of-the-box blackberry.  The most significant problem for me is that I have multiple voicenotes saved on my device, for my job.  These voicenotes have not yet been transcribed.  They are VERY important to me.  Let's just put it this way: If I lose them, I very well might lose my job.

I ASSURE you this is not a problem of forgetting my password.  I am well aware that that is often the most common explanation, but it is simply not the case here.  Months ago, I put my blackberry on a keyboard lock setting so that it would lock after only a few minutes, and so I enter my password perhaps 15-20 times a day.  I repeat: I did not forget my password.

Also, my password does not involve any alt key or cap key strokes.

My device says that I have one more password attempt before my device is wiped.  Before I key my password in yet again and jump into the abyss, does ANYONE know of a way to fix this problem?

Please help me.  I am desperate.  Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts on this problem!

H-i-S

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Curve 8520 Password Problem

[ Edited ]

Helpless-in-Seattle wrote:

I ASSURE you this is not a problem of forgetting my password.

Understood.

Also, my password does not involve any alt key or cap key strokes.

To be clear, are you saying that your password contains ONLY normal lower case alpha characters?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

JSaunders wrote:  "To be clear, are you saying that your password contains ONLY normal lower case alpha characters?"

Yes, sorry to not clarify JSaunders, as that makes a difference.  My password does indeed contain ONLY normal lower case alpha characters. 

I always thought my password consisted of numbers, but in fact it is letters, because when I enter it I do not use the alt-key. 

Thanks again for any thoughts you might have on this conundrum.

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

I, too, have experienced a similar problem with my 2-day old Curve 8530.  I have Sprint as the carrier and their customer service reps tell me the same thing over and over.

Mine locked after I installed the latest software (v5.0.1) and showed a white screen with the words, "reload software 513".  I could not reload any software because I had just pulled the phone out of the box!  I finally found this forum and downloaded the prior software for it.

Then the same thing happened to me yesterday.  I was plugging the phone into my PC with the USB cable.  The Desktop Manager asked for a new password which I wrote down and entered.  It would not accept it.  I reached for my phone as well and entered by password (which I had written down - no unusual characters) and the phone 'locked' me out.

To make a long story short, I was told by the Sprint representative that the phone could be checked by Sprint to determine if it is a hardware or software issue.

I hope you do not lose your valuable information.  I've had to wipe mine to get it back to original.

It is common that a user who ON their device thought their password might be something like 1234, only to find that they had only been pressing the ALT key on the first character and the password is something like 1ers

I've seen ^^ that too many times.

I hope you get this one figured out. I hate you're at the last entry point.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Visitor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: INDOSAT

Dear All,

I've the same problems after upgrade the version 5.0.1, when I'm charges my BB into my desktop there is the screen Device Password Required as follows:

DEvice: USB: BlackBerry 8520 (PIN CODE)

Please enter your device password (7/10)

Password: XXXXXX

I've enter with my password but still does not match for 7 times, Please help us asap, thanks.

Regards,

Setiadi

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Trust me, when I say that I've backed up everything twice since I've had to start from scratch 2 times!

I have not set a password and the phone is acting fine as well as the Desktop Manager software.  The only complaint I have now, is the battery is draining at an alarming rate.

New Contributor

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to lose important information on my blackberry that is critical to my job (which I now might not have for long).  Never mind that I spent 12 hours of the Easter holiday trying to resolve the problem, all to no avail. 

This makes me wonder though, why doesn't Blackberry acknowledge this problem and warn people of it?  It appears to be a problem with the desktop software.  I have searched dozens of online forums at this point and have discovered that other people have had the same problem with their passwords suddenly not working. 

If Blackberry is going to have a password protection system so ironclad that even they can't fix a password glitch once it has started, you would think they would be especially diligent in making sure that their desktop software does not CAUSE password glitches.

To the inevitable response of, "that's why you have to back-up your data," let me preempt that by saying that, except for simcard data, you can't backup your data until you get your blackberry set up with your desktop computer in the first place!

H-i-S

Lindee3479 wrote:

Trust me, when I say that I've backed up everything twice since I've had to start from scratch 2 times!

I have not set a password and the phone is acting fine as well as the Desktop Manager software.  The only complaint I have now, is the battery is draining at an alarming rate.

Lindee... We're dealing with the original poster's issue here.

In the future, please learn to create your own thread when you have your own personal issue to discuss... even if your issue might be "similar" the originally posted. yours is not the same, and posting in a existing thread like this just clutters the original posters thread.
The "New Message" link is at the top left of each forum section page.

Knowledge Base Updates

This makes me wonder though, why doesn't Blackberry acknowledge this problem and warn people of it?  It appears to be a problem with the desktop software.  I have searched dozens of online forums at this point and have discovered that other people have had the same problem with their passwords suddenly not working. 

I''ve read and helped quite a few users over the years with password problems. Your's is the absolute first I've seen of it's nature. 99% of the other posts do involve mostly a user with a number of uppercase character not getting it right once they attempt to enter the password on the desktop, and others from people who just don't know or are guessing at the password.

If there were a workaround... sorta defeats the point of the security.

And yes, the point is to have the backup made before its needed. Always.

To the inevitable response of, "that's why you have to back-up your data," let me preempt that by saying that, except for simcard data, you can't backup your data until you get your blackberry set up with your desktop computer in the first place!

Well, not totally true. There are other services (like MiqLive.com) which I've used,in order to have an OTA backup available, not requiring the Desktop Manager. There are others.

Knowledge Base Updates