Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Curve 8530 antenna replacement

I have a no-signal problem that Virgin Mobile can't explain, other than suggesting it might be a problem with the phone itself. I've found that the internal antenna replacement part is available and cheap, so I want to try doing it myself.  There are several total disassembly videos on YouTube etc., but none that I've found focus on the antenna. So, my question is what do I have to remove to get to the antenna?

TIA

Ed

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Curve 8530 antenna replacement

The antenna is located in the area under the lower bezel, beneath the keyboard.

What all you need to remove... the back, the front, the bottom bezel.

IF you're sure that replacing the antenna will fix it, are you?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JSanders wrote:

The antenna is located in the area under the lower bezel, beneath the keyboard.

What all you need to remove... the back, the front, the bottom bezel.

IF you're sure that replacing the antenna will fix it, are you?

Thanks.

No, I'm not sure at all. But the part, tools to open the case, and shipping comes to only $16 so I'm going to give it a try. I figure a repair shop would charge more than the phone is worth. Not sure about that either!

Ed

Contributor

Got the new antenna, have watched several disassembly videos, but can't get the front bezel off. As shown in the videos, I removed 2 screws fron the back, peeled off the LCD cover, and pried around the edges of the bezel with the plastic pry tools. I can get the side edges loose, but the top and bottom edges resist all efforts, as if there are other  screws that need to be removed. In the videos, they just seem to pop off. Is it that the techs doing the video have disassembled the phones used for the video so many times the sticky tape is no longer sticky, while mine is virgin and very tight?

Another thing I'm concerned about is the new antenna. When I look at the fully disassembled phones in the videos, nowhere do I see a part like I just got, which is supposed to fit either the 8520 or 8530. My suspicion is the videos are all done on 8520 phones which had a somewhat different antenna. If so, I'm wondering if there are other differences, perhaps the source of my disassembly grief.

What am I missing here?

TIA

Ed

Contributor

Finally figured it out. There are many YouTube videos of the disassembly process for the 8520 but it's a little different for the 8530. On this model the front frame has a little panel at the bottom center. It has to be removed before the front frame will snap off. To remove the little center panel pry at the TOP edge with a small plastic pry tool. That will reveal two screws. Although I don't think it's absolutely necessary to remove those screws first the frame seems to como off easier if you do. Once this is done the disassembly is pretty much like the 8520 Youtube videos.

Also,  having just replaced it I can say for certain that at least on the 8530 the antenna is near the top, right above the battery. It's a "decal" stuck on the OUTSIDE of the back part of the frame. You can see it with the battery cover off if you know what to look for. I is marked "GPS, BT, WiFi" plus part number and Rev. number. The contact tabs, also part of the decal, wrap around the edge to match up with main board contacts inside. Replacement is not difficult once you know how to do a completed disassembly.

Unfortunately, replacing it did not solve my problems. My device will not complete the "Provisioning" process. It has absolutely no data connectivity and Virgin Mobile is absolutely clueless. And, get this, tech support will not escalate the case because coverage is only "fair" in my zip code area! They ignore my report that it behaves the same way in lots of other places.

Guess I'll be dumping VM and the BB...

Ed

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sorry it's not working. I'm afraid you might not be replacing he correct antenna.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code