Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Blackberry Curve 8900 Email Settings connection error

Device info

Your carrier: Rogers

Model info and OS version: BlackBerry 8900 smartphone V5.0.0.900

Apps and free space

File free: 104251158

Did a battery pull fix your issue: No

Apps installed and their version if possible:

-Copter

-Flashlight

-IMO

-Cracked screen

-Revolver

-Screen Grabber

-Slider Lock

-Tiny Bird

When writing your question

Details: Going into Email Settings I get the error "Your device had a problem connecting to the server. Retry or Cancel."

Description: This phone was passed down to me from my sister and she had her email setup to it so I wanted to delete it and add my own but it never did work.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Blackberry Curve 8900 Email Settings connection error

Hi lunch4breakfast

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

First you have to call your Carrier Rogers to confirm if BlackBerry Data Plan are activated in your account , because to use those email services we need an active BlackBerry Data Plan / BIS .

Secondly ,as you are the second user of that BlackBerry device , so follow this Knowledge Base  :

KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone.

Once you're done you can use your own email or BlackBerry ID .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have a data plan, but, I am connected to Wifi. Does this mean I still can't use it?

Elite II

Hi lunch4breakfast

No without a BlackBerry Data Plan you cannot use those BlackBerry Data Services like emails or BBM etc. even over wifi. So contact your carrier if you want to use those services.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

I can use BBM and I get emails just fine, I even setup my own Blackberry ID it's just I can't get into the email setup.

Elite II

lunch4breakfast wrote : 

I don't have a data plan, but, I am connected to Wifi. Does this mean I still can't use it?

Hey lunch4breakfast

On your previous post you mentioned it clearly that you don't have that 

Well if you already have it then from your BlackBerry browser browse to www.blackberry.com/integrate  to add / edit your email account .

Also read this Knowledge Base :

KB02189 : How to add / attach / integrate / email addresses with a BlackBerry smartphone on the BlackBerry Internet Service.

New Contributor

You must have read it wrong. I don't have a data plan but I do have wifi which allows me to use BBM and the email that's already setup (my sisters). I have already made a Blackberry ID account for Blackberry Appworld and BBM I just am having troubles with connecting to the email settings server. The website you told me to go to seemed to work I will have to further investigate to see if it did exactly what I wanted. Thanks for helping.

Highlighted
Elite II

Hi lunch4breakfast

Yes maybe I read it wrong . But my friend those Services like BBM and personal emails won't work without BIS ! As you got it from your sister may be she have those data plan which is allowing those services.Are you using the same SIM card.

Regarding your original issue , if you want to delete your sister's email and associate  your own then you have to perform a device wipe , after that you will be allowed to use your own BlackBerry ID on that device . for those instructions you have to follow the KB which is on my first post within this thread.

Also what is your device OS version, if you're having OS5  then then read this Knowledge Base :

KB23716 : What is a BlackBerry ID

Good luck.