Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: Etisalat

Blackberry Curve 9220 battery drain after BB Social Service renewal !!!

[ Edited ]

Before I renewed my BB social service (BBM) 2 days ago, I had like the best battery life ever but since I renewed my BBM social service, my BB curve 9220 started lagging, the battery started heating up while usage/plugged in charge and my battery just DRAINS OVERNIGHT for NO known reason! I've Googled my problem but again it seems the net has all the answers in the world except mine!

I keep no applications running at night, only the 5 usuals (Home, messages, phone, browser, BBM). My wifi is off and I keep it at standby. My battery life now seems like keepin up for max 4 hours! Whereas 2 days ago I could even go a day without charging! This all has started since I renewed my BB social service. Even before a month and a half when I had my social service, my BB never acted like this.

I have made no changes at all from then and now. Although, I have to say that since I renewed my BB social service 2 days ago, I have observed more frequent transmission of signal (that little 2 way arrow thingy at the top right corner goes on for a longer period and appears very frequently). I think whatever problem has evolved, it HAS to be related to this constant signal transmission (because the phone only lags and the battery only drains rapidly when the arrow is flickering constantly for long periods). When I turn my data services off from the "Mobile Network" options, the phone seems to work fine but I cannot use BBM. I have used BBM before and I know how the signal transmission works when it's normal and right now, this is certainly not normal. I had my battery charged fully before I slept last night and when I woke up in the morning my battery is DEAD! This happened the night before too!

I did call Etisalat (network provider) and inquired if it is an issue of network signal (in 2009 there has been a big issue when Etisalat tried to update its subscribers' BB's with a weird patch which didn't go really well) and the symptoms of that issue seems to be very similar to mine right now. Anyway, I called them and they said there is no issue with their network and suggested me to get my battery checked.

Anyway, I still think its an issue with the network because the battery works fine when I turn the date services off.

I am really lost here! Any kind of help would be really appreciated! THANKS!!!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Curve 9220 battery drain after BB Social Service renewal !!!

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please understand that actual diagnosis, at an internet distance, is a matter of providing you with test scenarios to run and evaluating the results. It's a deductive process...ruling things out one by one. If the final result is that no tests reveal anything causal, then the most likely result is hardware -- but that can't be a diagnosis, only a deduction. True diagnosis of many things requires in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician...internet-distance diagnosis and repair is challenging at best.

Nonetheless, here are some things you can try...

To test if it's your battery that is causal, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully the term "known good"...the most effective method (and least costly, btw) to conduct this is to find someone with an identical BB who does not have problems...trade batteries with them and see what happens. While rare, a "new" battery can certainly be defective.

To try and determine if something on your BB (3rd party or add-on app) might be causal, you can attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Of course, if the problem is the hardware itself, then none of this will actually be useful.

Likewise, if the problem is a weak signal from your mobile network, that as well cannot be helped by any of this...note carefully that truly diagnosing a weak signal issue would require continual watching over the signal strength indicator...one moment in time is not a useful data point for this issue. For example, consider if your mobile network signal drops very low from 2am to 4am while you are asleep...your BB will draw maximum power from the battery in an attempt to "reach out" for a network signal, and this can drain a battery very fast...but unless you are looking at the indicator at that moment in time, you would never know this to be the cause. There may be apps you can obtain from BBWorld that would create a log of signal strength that you could then review later to see if this may be the cause.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I tried the Safe Mode method - It seemed to work fine in Safe Mode. So does that indicate the problem is due to an application? I use no 3rd party application except whatsapp Smiley Frustrated How do I find out which application is causin this issue?

What should be my next step?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I can't tell you exactly which app is causal. Safe Mode prevents any add-on or 3rd party apps from auto-loading. If the problem does not present in Safe Mode, then one of those is causal. But it will take trial and error to find it -- e.g., removing one, booting normal, repeat until the behavior ceases...the last one you removed would be the likely culprit.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks! I will try that and let you know how it goes!
New Contributor

Okay, I THINK I have found the culprit. I think it's Whatsapp which is causin this constant transmission of radio comm. Now where I'm lost is, even though I close Whatsapp it still somehow runs in the background. I came to know this when I went to Options > Application Management > CPU Usage (Now) > And then I saw Whatsapp running even though it is closed and doesn't show in the running apps list (basically when I hold the menu button). So is there anyway I can make sure Whatsapp is not running when I don't want it to?

Hall of Famer III

I don't use WhatsApp, so I don't know if it has any startup options within it...some apps have internal settings you can configure to control the app behavior. But there are no settings outside if the app itself to control it...the assumption is that if you want an app, you want all that it does, which would include it's background running and auto-loading functions if those are part of the app. The only way to control it is with Safe Mode.

For messaging apps in particular, the assumption would (I think) be that you do want them auto loading and running...if they are not running, then if someone sends you a message, you would get no notification of that until you again launch the app...not quite "IM".

Good luck!