Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Blackberry Curve 9380 - Rebooting continuously

Hi I've had my Curve for couple of months now with no problems until it started rebooting itself, it can do this a couple of times a day, everyday and is most annoying! I have checked all my settings and has the latest software upgrade on but cannot seem to find what is causing this. Can anybody provide me with a solution please?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Curve 9380 - Rebooting continuously

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That can be a tricky one...something installed could be causing it, or the OS itself could be corrupt...here are a few things to try (some in conjuction with each other...).

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: blackberry curve 9380
My Carrier: orange

Hi mine also does the same but does it when i am talking to some on the line i have the latest os have not downloaded anything it also dials out and texts by itself very annoying .Phone is a waste of space .

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Hello,

I see you've already got some help here:

So we'll just let you continue with that and consider your post in this thread as just a rant. No worries.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Sty
New Contributor
My Device: 9380
My Carrier: Tmobile

I  would like to seek help with regards to the problem that I am experiencing with my phone.. I bought my phone roughly 2 months ago and it was working fine.. but when I hit the 3rd week mark... My phone keeps on rebooting itself.. 20 times a day... I already tried to put it on safe mode, took off the battery for roughly 2 hours, reload/reformat and installed the OS, wipeout... already tried everything but still having the reboot problem? My battery works fine... I already asked a technician to check it and did the same... but still... I dunno what to do with this phone...

Hall of Famer III

Sty wrote:

I  would like to seek help with regards to the problem that I am experiencing with my phone.. I bought my phone roughly 2 months ago and it was working fine.. but when I hit the 3rd week mark... My phone keeps on rebooting itself.. 20 times a day... I already tried to put it on safe mode, took off the battery for roughly 2 hours, reload/reformat and installed the OS, wipeout... already tried everything but still having the reboot problem? My battery works fine... I already asked a technician to check it and did the same... but still... I dunno what to do with this phone...

Hello,

You have described almost everything that I recommended up in post 2 of this thread...except for the "Bare Bones" methodology to try and root out the core of the issue. I don't see, from your words, that you tried that (unless, by saying "already tried everything" you indeed meant to include it).

If you have not yet tried the Bare Bones methodology, then I recommend that you do. If you have tried it and exhausted all of the permutations that it can contain (and there are many...perhaps hundreds), then you likely fall to what I also said there:

• "If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure."

If the technician you sought help from was a qualified BB technician, then they certainly should have been able to provide you with a proper diagnosis.

Good luck!

Sty
New Contributor
My Device: 9380
My Carrier: Tmobile

Hi,

I coudnt agree more but blackberry doesnt have a repair center here in the philippines. Should I just throw my blackberry away? The least that I am thinking is this issue is a battery issue.. but I dont see the logic if this is a battery issue...

I really enjoyed using the features of blackberry but it seems that it not helping me at all.. I dont use this phone just for games or social surfing.. I use this phone for my emails coming from work..

I am really disappointed... Such a waste of time..

Thanks.

Hall of Famer III

Sty wrote:

I coudnt agree more but blackberry doesnt have a repair center here in the philippines. 

I don't understand the point of that...you would only be required to use a formal service center if you are seeking warranty support AND your original contract required you to use such. But, your actual method of seeking warranty support may or may not even be a formal service center...I do not know the terms of your original device purchase contract, but that contract is where your formal warranty support method is determined. If it stated you needed to use some specific service entity, then that's what you need to use...you do not have the option of choosing your own warranty support provider...you are required to use that which is determined by your original purchase contract.

Otherwise, you'd be seeking out local (to you) shops that have qualified BB hardware technicians...they may or may not be able to provide you with warranty-level support...I have no way to know.

Sty wrote:

Should I just throw my blackberry away?

I'm pretty sure I've not recommended that...but I have recommended things which you continue to ignore.

Sty wrote:

The least that I am thinking is this issue is a battery issue.. but I dont see the logic if this is a battery issue... 

Sometimes logic does not apply. You can, of course, test your theory:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Sty wrote:

I am really disappointed... Such a waste of time..

Yes, when you choose to ignore the advice given to you, then providing such advice to you is indeed a great waste of time...

Good luck and let us know!

My Device: 9380 Curve
My Carrier: Vodacom

@Sdgardne, I have the exact same issue now obviously I checked this forum to remedy the problems I have with my Blackberry but when I read your your replies to the complaints I was stunned at how you handle people.

To start off, I seriously hope that you do not represent Blackberry at a professional level. Some Blackberry users well most try what they know (taking the battery out, wipping the phone, upgrading the software) when you explain your "bare bones" or whatever it is most of us are confused! We purchased the phone as users not IT technicians and when our phones gives us problems within a short time period we do not want Blackberry explaining difficult methods to fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! We want Blackberry to sell phones with software that are bug free, so Blackberry should spend less time advising people how to fix broken phones and start with fixing the problems with the phones before selling them to the consumer!

I have had 2 Blackberry's and in both the reboot has been a problem and in phone the phone needed to be replaced because the trackpad became so hot it burned my finger until at last it broke. Blackberry should fire every single person in their quality control department because they are obviously not doing there jobs.

Kind regards,

Upgrading to Samsung!

Hall of Famer III

ShOcKeD13 wrote:

To start off, I seriously hope that you do not represent Blackberry at a professional level.

When you review the Ts and Cs of this site, you will discover that any actual BB employees are distinctly displayed on this site. This is a user-to-user community, and my auto-sig clearly states my role here.

ShOcKeD13 wrote:

Some Blackberry users well most try what they know (taking the battery out, wipping the phone, upgrading the software) when you explain your "bare bones" or whatever it is most of us are confused!

Every situation is different...I recommend what I recommend based on each situation. Sometimes, things are just so bad that such actions are the way I've found to try and root out the core reason for the problems and perhaps find a solution. If someone is confused by what I recommend, then all they need do is ask for help...or seek formal in-person support from their particular formal support channel.

ShOcKeD13 wrote:

We purchased the phone as users not IT technicians and when our phones gives us problems within a short time period we do not want Blackberry explaining difficult methods to fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! We want Blackberry to sell phones with software that are bug free, so Blackberry should spend less time advising people how to fix broken phones and start with fixing the problems with the phones before selling them to the consumer!

And I want world peace and an end to child hunger. But my desire for that does nothing to make it so.

I cannot control what BB does or does not do...all I can do is give advice as best I can based on what any individual situation is. I too would like perfection to exist...but I have come to accept that devices designed, built, and operated by humans simply cannot attain perfection.

ShOcKeD13 wrote:

I have had 2 Blackberry's and in both the reboot has been a problem and in phone the phone needed to be replaced because the trackpad became so hot it burned my finger until at last it broke. Blackberry should fire every single person in their quality control department because they are obviously not doing there jobs.

I might suggest that two identical events do not make a pattern. I've no idea if there is a pattern or not, but all I try to do here is help others figure out what they can do based on the circumstances they present. Your situation sounds quite bad indeed, and I'd not recommend any end-user actions for it...rather, I'd recommend formal hardware support from a qualified BB hardware technician.

ShOcKeD13 wrote:

but when I read your your replies to the complaints I was stunned at how you handle people.!

You've read them all? That's quite a bit of reading indeed...congratulations!