Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Curve switches itself off intermittently

Hi can anyone help me solve the problem of my Blackberry switching itself off then powering up again, happened 4 times yesterday

Deena

sjp
New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Curve switches itself off intermittently

All I can say is you're not alone. Mine does the same periodically but it seems to usually happen when I am using the media player to listen to music. I wonder if my memory card is causing the problems (that's where my music is stored). Do you have a memory card installed?

Visitor

I have a brand new BB Curve 8320 I bought 3 days ago at Costco. I noticed that it started rebooting itself a few times a day the same day I bought it and got worse every day after that and the rebooting was constant. So I proceeded to read various forums and found I was not alone. However some people say it's the memory card, others say it's the Wifi, and so on. Since I am a signal and power integrity engineer I thought I try my own troubleshooting:

While running on a fully charged battery (no external power):  

- 1st: I removed both the memory card and the SIM card and left everything enabled in the 8320 i.e., the mobile network, the WIFI, and the Bluetooth => the 8320 still self-rebooted itself.

- 2nd: With both cards still removed, I then disabled everything i.e.., the mobile network, the WIFI, and the Bluetooth => no self-rebooting occurred.

- 3rd: With both cards still removed, mobile network and Bluetooth disabled, I enabled only the WIFI => no self-rebooting occurred.

- 4th: With both cards still removed, I enabled only the mobile network, and disabled the WIFI and Bluetooth => no self-rebooting occurred.

- 5th: With both cards still removed, I enabled the WIFI and the mobile network, and kept the Bluetooth disabled => self-rebooting came back again.

- 6th: With both cards still removed, I enabled only the WIFI and disabled mobile network and Bluetooth => no self-rebooting occurred so we were back to step "3rd" above, i.e., repeatable experiment.

- 7th: With both cards still removed, I enabled only the WIFI and bluetooth (mobile network still disabled) => no self-rebooting occurred.

- 8th: With both cards still removed, I enabled the mobile network and bluetooth, and kept the WIFI disabled => self-rebooting came back again.

- 9th: With both cards now installed, I enabled only the mobile network (WIFI and bluetooth disabled) => no-self-rebooting occurred.

- 10th: With both cards still installed, I PLUGGED the 8320 to the power cord, and enabled everything i.e., the mobile network, the WIFI, and the bluetooth => no-self-rebooting occurred.

In conclusion this seems to be a power integrity problem which could be related to poor or defective batteries assuming the hardware has no issues. Although the enabled hardware functions of mobile network and either WIFI and/or Bluetooth exacerbate and expose the problem. My troubleshooting proved that the issue has nothing to do with the microSD card. I'll let the Blackberry engineers figure out the real issue. I hope they keep me posted since I need to know what to do with my limping Blackberry.

Regards,

Raul

New Contributor

Hi, yes i have a memory card - it seems to reset when i am on the net and sometimes when I am making calls

Deena

New Contributor

My 8320 (no memory card) seems only to reset (so far) when I am using both the wifi and the bluetooth at the same time.

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

raull wrote:
Since I am a signal and power integrity engineer I thought I try my own troubleshooting

hello, that's a fine benchmark. Did you try removing the battery and cleaning the little yellow pads ? I've read they are very fragile.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: