Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Data Recovery from DEAD BB

I'm trying to recovery some data (photos in particular) from a Blackberry that was crushed by a car.  It's not completely destroyed, however... just will not power on at all.

I was wondering if anyone here has some tips for doingthis type of recovery.  I've read in a number of places that one should take it to a "Data Recovery Facility" for recovery, but we ARE a data recovery facility.  We just don't see a lot of Blackberrys.  It's usually laptop hard drives, or SD cards, or memory sticks... things like that.

If we could get in contact with someone from the Blackberry devolopment team, we might be able to find out what type of drive this is, and if there is any type of interface adapter for this device.

I need some help.

Any takers?

Bradley Chapple, Owner

Aspen Computer Services

Phone:  970.443.9599

Computer Repair Fort Collins, Colorado

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Data Recovery from DEAD BB

You're going to need a more advanced forensics to do what you want. There are companies that do this for a business (I know you've stated you're in that business, but you're really not in this business).

I don't think you'll get the answer you need here in the forums, it's just not an answer you'll find made public.

Contact RIM directly. See the contact pages at blackberry.com

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

JSanders wrote:

You're going to need a more advanced forensics to do what you want. There are companies that do this for a business (I know you've stated you're in that business, but you're really not in this business).

I don't think you'll get the answer you need here in the forums, it's just not an answer you'll find made public.

Contact RIM directly. See the contact pages at blackberry.com

JSanders makes some excellent suggestions.

Blackberry phones are known for their security so I imagine it will be tougher to recover the data on them due to possible encryption of the memory contents. This may be tougher than just a simple interface to phone...just my thoughts, I'm not an expert on the recovery process, or how they keep their data secure.

Hope you find the necessary help!

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy

I have a friend in this business,... and in most cases, you're talking $1k+ for the service, and much more according to the difficulty.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Okay, so no... Our company has never performed data recovery from a dead Blackberry, but we have recovered data from other very dead devices.  Our engineers are pretty talented (one has a Masters in Electronics), and can work some pretty impressive magic.

We primarily work on desktop drives, laptop drives, memory cards, and USB drives.  We have the ability to flash ROM chips and have a level 100 clean-room.  We have been used as "data recovery experts" in courts of law, and are sought out in our area by attorneys who need a technical expert.

If you are saying that BB's need something "special", that's fine.  But, I'd like to know what that something special is.

Bradley Chapple, Owner

Aspen Computer Services

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

brchap wrote:

Okay, so no... Our company has never performed data recovery from a dead Blackberry, but we have recovered data from other very dead devices.  Our engineers are pretty talented (one has a Masters in Electronics), and can work some pretty impressive magic.

We primarily work on desktop drives, laptop drives, memory cards, and USB drives.  We have the ability to flash ROM chips and have a level 100 clean-room.  We have been used as "data recovery experts" in courts of law, and are sought out in our area by attorneys who need a technical expert.

If you are saying that BB's need something "special", that's fine.  But, I'd like to know what that something special is.

Bradley Chapple, Owner

Aspen Computer Services

I'm not doubting your expertise, and I really wouldn't know where to start with recovering data of a dead BB.

As JSanders mentioned, contact RIM for further assistance. Take a look here for support services: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/programs/

Blackberry phones are the preferred device among many businesses primarily for data security. I'm sure the data can be accessed from the phone, but I doubt it will be as easy as just managing to connect to the on-board memory. Once again, this is purely speculation on my part so I could be wrong. Try out the link above and good luck Smiley Happy

Let us know if all goes well!

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy

Hey, scroll up... you're not going to learn how in this forum.

Contact RIM directly.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted

i am in situation

i am stuck with photos in BB and its dead

New Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: EE

Hi,

I've just come across your post as I'm trying to recover data on my broken 9810. The phone doesn't power up from multiple batteries or even accept a charge, so creating a normal backup with BB Dektop is not an option.

Did you manage to find anyone to help in retrieving data from your broken unit, as I'd really appreciate any advice or contacts that you have?

Many Thanks

@Hal101

Do you have a backup file made using your PC and the Desktop Software?

Knowledge Base Updates