Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

CSF
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry Desktop Does Not Recognize the Media Card

Under <Options> <Memory> I can see and reformat my 2GB memory card.  However the Blackberry Desktop does not recognize the media card.  I always get the message: "Your Media cannot be synchronized.  ...   Consider using a media card with your device."

I have tried evry combination of <Memory> setting on the Blackberry and followed the instructions in the Blackberry help to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650

Re: Blackberry Desktop Does Not Recognize the Media Card

I'm having a similar issue. I returned from vacation and went to synchronize my music using the Desktop Manager like I always do but I received a similar message on the "music" tab of Desktop Manager saying "Your media cannot be synchronized. You've selected your BlackBerry Device drive. There isn't enough space to synchronize your media. Select another drive." However, Windows Explorer clearly shows that I do have space on the drive. Furthermore, I can see the pictures and videos on the device using the Desktop Manager, so the issue is solely for  the music.

The problem exists regardless of whether I connect using the "Charge only", "Media Sync", or "USB Drive" option on my device when I connect it to my computer. It also exists even if I "eject" the device drive on my computer.

I found this post in another forum which seems identical: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-f146/not-enough-space-media-but-cannot-modify-fold.... The poster said that he/she resolved the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the Desktop Manager. I tried that but it didn't help.

This problem came out of nowhere for me so I can only imagine it is related to some recent update in the Desktop Manager Software, the device software, or my computer's operating system (MS Windows 7).

Any help would be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

I would try directly connecting the card to the computer with a reader. This way you can test if it is actually the card.

Its most likely memory card. I used a cheaper brand (patriot) 2 of those malfunctioned in less than a month. I suggest only Sandisk and Kingston. Try a new card and I bet the memory card is a dud. 2gb arent very much anyways for a new one.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I tested the original card and I got a new card (SanDisk) and there is no problem with either card and the problem still exists when using the Desktop Manager. I don't think the problem is with the card. I think it has something to do with the interaction between my OS and the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. I can't figure out a solution, though.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

Thanks for informing me. Yeah could be. Maybe try some updates for the operating system and allow BB desktop through the firewall. I dont tend to use the desktop software much anymore I just dump stuff on the card in the folders and let the phone pick it up....

New Contributor
My Device: 9780 & playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I'm having the same issue and my phone is only a week old. I would hate to think that the memory disk has broken already. Very frustrated at this stage!

Is there no where to call or email to get direct help with blackberry questions? This endless loop of websites is a bit tedious and so far a big fat waste of time.

New Contributor

Unfortunately, I never got a resolution to this problem. I'm fairly certain it's a problem with the desktop software. As I mentioned above, I got a new memory card and had the same problem. Then a few weeks ago some buttons on my device stopped working, so I sent it back to Verizon and got a new one. As you probably guessed, the problem still exists with my new phone, which backs up my hypothesis about it being related to the desktop software. 

So instead of using the softward to transfer music & podcasts to my BB, I do it using windows folders (i.e., like it is a USB drive). It's not a big pain, but it seems like they should be able to address this issue.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

In BB Desktop open Device tab, then Device Options, then Media tab.  Look at Media on My Device and make certain STORE MEDIA ON has Media Card selected. Then OK.

New Contributor

Thank you! I had "Device" selected (which seesm like a crazy thing to have as a default). Changing it to "Media Card" fixed the problem. I wonder if they changed the default with a newer software release. In any case, I appreciate the tip.

Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Glad to help. The same thing had happened to me twice. The first time I reinstall the Desktop Software and I just lucked up and chose the media card solution, but the second time I nailed it right away.