Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 247A58EA

Blackberry Desktop Manager for MAC - Disaster

Greetings, I have a Blackberry Curve and a PowerBook G4 running OS 10.5.8.  I have Entourage 2008 as well as Address Book and iCal.  Today I downloaded the new Blackberry Desktop Manager for MAC.  I then tried to sync my Blackberry using the new Blankberry software.  The Desktop software insisted I download a whole series of files.  During that exercise the Desktop software crashed.  I then rebooted and the Desktop software then required that I download a new OS for the Curve.  The Desktop crashed during this operation.  My Blackberry would not reboot but finally (after more than thirty minutes) it came to life with a totally new OS and desktop devoid of my old data.  I then tried to sync the Blackberry with the new software.  It cycled through the calendar, address book, tasks and notes.  Only the address book loaded and the calendar was visible but with no events.  I tried to sync again and this time the sync failed early in the process but not before erasing the address book.  The Desktop now crashes on booting and the interface on the Blackberry is clunky, visually offensive and devoid of my personal data.  I suggest that RIM withdraw this version immediately lest it bests Microsoft in its inability to develop software for MAC that never quite functions reliably.

I would welcome assistance or any advice.  I thank you for your interest.

GiorgioA 

SyG
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager for MAC - Disaster

Same thing has happened to me,  I'd successfully installed and operated the 'leaked' version - that worked ok.  I assumed that the 'official' release would be better. WRONG!  All the issues listed by Giorgio, I too have suffered - worst being the loss of my Address Book.  DO NOT INSTALL this diabolical dog's breakfast - it'll ruin your day.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Did you remove (uninstall) any leaked DM. The offical DM from BlackBerry does noy play well with the "leaked" verizon.
SyG
New Contributor

Did I uninstall the leaked .dmg?  Yes.  Rebooted before downloading and installing official version.
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Try this:

Overview

Upon opening BlackBerry Desktop Manager after installation, the following error message is received:

Persistent Store Migration Failed, <reason for error>

Cause

Updates from previous versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager are not supported, and will generate this error message.

Workaround

The following workarounds are available when running into this error:

Option 1

1. Navigate to <User>/Library/Application Support/
  2. Delete the BlackBerryDesktop folder.
  3. Empty the Trash Bin.
  4. Restart BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Options 2

1. Double-click the BlackBerry Desktop Manager .dmg file to mount the disk image.
  2. Double-click the BlackBerry Desktop Manager Uninstaller to remove BlackBerry Desktop Manager from the Macintosh® computer.
  3. Reinstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software Manager on the Macintosh computer.

------------------------------------------------------

SyG
New Contributor

OK

I have tried uninstall again.  I used Omni Disk Sweeper to trace and remove any and all elements of prior installations.  Restarted.  New Download & Install.  Software installed apparently successfully but connected to my BB, set up Synch - and off we go again.  I gave up immediately.  Got the same message as Giorgio:

For help resolving this issue, refer to KB19454 in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager Knowledge Base, see below.  Cause One- solution doesn't work.  Cause Two - RIM say they will have to fix.

Only conclusion is that the Mac version of Desktop Manager isn't working, should not have been released and RIM have let down a load of eager BB/Mac users.

SyG

"The <PIM> database cannot be accessed for synchronization" appears when attempting a synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 1.0 on a Mac computer
Doc ID : KB19454
Last Modified : 10-02-2009
Document Type : Support

Environment
  • BlackBerry® Desktop Manager version 1.0
  • Microsoft® Entourage® 2008
  • DT238839
  • DT238766
  • DT317499
  • DT358106

Overview

When attempting a synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac the following error is displayed.

Cause 1: The BlackBerry smartphone does not contain the PIM application that you are attempting to synchronize with. For example, in the screenshot above the error occurred as a result of the Tasks application not being installed on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Resolution 1: Install the PIM application that you would like to synchronize with on the BlackBerry smarpthone. For more information on how to add a application to your BlackBerry smartphone please review KB19150. After installation of the desired PIM application perform a synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac.

Cause 2: The BlackBerry smartphone default calendar service has been modified between synchronizations and BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac is now unable to communicate with the specified default calendar database. 

Resolution 2: This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 247A58EA

Greetings,

I thank SyG for his input.  For the record, I never downloaded or used any leaked software.  I did uninstall the prior version of the software, which, by the way, actually worked.  The advice that SyG received seems to ignore the symptoms and gives no hope of any timely resolution.  One wonders whether the "leaked" version was RIM's excuse for a beta test.  I cannot conceive that adequate beta testing would not have disclosed this problem.

I have the following questions: Will there be a revision or viable work-around and when will it become available?

Thank you,

Giorgio 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SyG's last post is, unfortunately, 100% spot on.

Same problem here with the Bold 9000 on BBDMV1.0.  Used to work fine in os 10.5.8 - NEVER has worked (recognized my blackberry in 10.6.1)

Followed every guide that may have helped, including master reset/wipe handheld all to no avail.  

Update to 4.6.0.297 prompted on my device (which I stupidly did) has effectively bricked the calendar portion of the device.  No big deal - THATS ONLY THE MOST IMPORTANT FUNCTION I USE!!!!!!  

Absolutely unbelievable.  What an absolute débâcle.  First the zero funtionality with SL (10.6.1) and now this.  After 5+ years as a blackberry user is there ANY reason I shouldn't go iphone????  Really?!

New Contributor

UPDATE:

I  did not have ay CICAL enteries in options/advanced options/service book (which one would think is a good thing after reading through these boards) so in futile desperation I decided to surf of over to my service provider's (at&t) blackberry page http://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and resent my service books, which recreates the CICAL enteries for my gmail accounts which I had long since deleted.  Upon confirming existence of the CICAL enteries I immediately deleted them...oh so logical...but again I'd already tried everything!  Finally USB'd the bold back into to BBDM (on OS 10.5.8) and VOLLA!  calendar now syncs.

Oh gaaaad.  How stupid can a solution be?  Now just to get those wasted 3 hours of my life back...oh and to get BBDM working with 10.6.1 (64 or 32 bit I don't care - niether works now)

Hope this saves someone an hour or three.

New Contributor

I had same problem - macbook to BB storm.

Installed the new DM and after the phone auto restarted twice, and downloaded "missing OS" all my info was gone.  including the apps I use the most: Facebook, BB Maps, Weather, all Games, and a bunch of other apps that came preloaded on the phone.

Of course my contacts and calendar are backed up - but there seems to be no way to get the preloaded programs back on the phone.

My cell carrier is offering iphone starting next month (Telus) and I think I'll switch. It seems that Blackberry doesn't care about MAC owners, so I'll take my money where I'm appreciated.