Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager hangs at "Preparing Sync Preview"

Reply to ELLOAD: VERY GOOD!

I posted on another thread effectively the same message, do a one-way sync the first time!!! Yes, this takes quite a long time even on a fast machine, but it should work.

This is my attempt at a step by step solution:

Success with BB Desktop software v 7.0_B44. (If possible: back up your files on the device and make sure your computer Outlook® entries are up to date - you may end up wiping your device data!) The following just worked for me: 1) I am using Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit and the mentioned desktop software. 2) I did install v 7.0 WITHOUT uninstalling 6.10; 3) v7.0 announced that it no longer uses Intellisync for managing synchronization, 4) the first time I clicked on UPDATE NOW; it crashed, and sent an error report; 5) I double clicked on the installation file again for v 7.0 and let it do its repair thing (click on repair, not unistall); 6) v7.0 said it was usable. 7) I clicked on my desktop icon (new with the latest repair) (this may or may not be needed); 8) v7.0 announced that it no longer uses Intellisync for managing synchronization, 9) I clicked on UPDATE LATER; 10) I clicked on Organizer on the left-sided menu; 11) I made sure M/S Outlook® was open; 12) I went into control panel and clicked on Mail (32-bit) and made sure my active profile was "Outlook®" - v.7.0 picks this up from the registry I presume but you will use it later; 13) In the Organizer, "Select Organizer Data to Synchronize"  I made sure there were no checkmarks beside the Contacts, Calendar, Tasks or Memos and then clicked on Configure beside each one; 14) I made sure the dialogue boxes referred to either the Outlook or Microsoft® Outlook® profiles, and did this for each of Contacts, Calendar, Tasks or Memos Configure boxes. 15) I made a mistake by clicking on Contacts and Sync as my first choice - my contacts are quite large and I suspect this one took a long time (26+ minutes){In Windows task manager, the Rim.Desktop.exe *32 images continuted to gobble CPU time (26+ minutes), memory (210,000K!) and  20+million Page faults} - I would start with Memos or tasks - which ever you use least.) 16) If can possibly do it, make sure Outlook calendar and contacts are up to date on your computer and configure the synchronization to ONE WAY (and REPLACE DEVICE DATA) - From Outlook to Device for both the Calendar and the contacts!!!! (I received multiple unknown contacts on the first try before canceling the update - that wasted 26 minutes.) It looks like the calendar - albeit one way - is going to take just as long - it's in progress now cranking cpu cycles out the window (no pun intended this time - however, I still won't buy an Apple® computer - it comes with a "bite" missing (© PLR, 2011, 2012) - pun intended!!) and I did have success - Calendar took another 30 minutes and is up to 38MB of page faults. Good luck, this one is a real pain.

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Claro Panama

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager hanfs at "Preparing Sync Preview"

I'm using Windows 7 SP1 64bits, same problem, it hangs forever and cpu use jumps to 100%.  will this happen every sync?

What is the "sync preview"?

My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

My BB Tour and desktop software synced and worked well for over 2 years until I downloaded the new desktop and sync software (on or about Feb 10).  Now it hangs up at  Preparing sync preview.  I use my devices for business everyday.  Syncing my calendar is very important to me.  This hangup is unaccetable.  Please resolve this issue immediately.  Need more info?  .... send email to <removed>

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Not a WIndows problem. It is a RIM problem!

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Looks like Version 7 has been removed now from the DTM section of Software and replaced with Version 6. Looks like they did the smart thing and pulled it until its fixed..

The only solution is remove 7 and re-install 6

Contributor
My Device: 9930 OS7
My Carrier: Sprint

Indeed, RIM has pulled DM 7 and put back DM 6.1

A few reflections -- preaching to the choir among us BB users I know -- on the off chance that someone from RIM pays attention to its custormer base:

(1) No one outside of BB users cares about this little DM fiasco, since no on cares about BB phones.  My friends snicker at me when I use my 9930.

(2) But, to BB users this DM problem is severe because we use our phones for work, and have to sync seamlessly with Outlook.  If my daughter's Android won't run Angry Birds properly, that's one thing; but unable to sync after a day's work in order to be organized for tomorrow is quite something else.

(3) This bodes very poorly, so far as I can see, for the future of RIM.  The rumors already say that the next gen RIM phones, running the QNX OS, will not be dual core, and thus be dead in the water at introduction because Samsung, Motorola, and iPhone already will be running dual core.  Now imagine risking your business life on a new (already outdated) OS that comes flawed straight from the box.  Don't think it can happen?  Well, the DM 7 disaster shows it can.

Any chance the new RIM CEO pays attention to these forums?

Contributor
My Device: 9930

Since BlackBerry customer service disconnected me twice (and had no clue what I was talking about anyway), I contacted Verizon customer service and the Verizon guy in Mankato, Minnesota was extraordinary.  He wasn't aware of the problem as yet (told him to alert Verizon, even at this late date) BUT he then checked his own on-line resources as well as his access to RIM's on-line support.

He then directed me to do the following:

• Uninstall the existing BlackBerry desktop manager (just for fun, I tried running "repair" first from my PC's control panel, but nope, same problem: not just the dumb "preparing sync preview," but then can't even close the dumb desktop manager window without doing a restart with the entire PC).
  • Go to RIM's home page; click on Apps & Software at the top.
  • Click on BlackBerry desktop software on the left.
  • Click on BlackBerry for PC (assuming you have a PC; other options are obvious).
  • Assuming you're now on the page that says BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC at the very top, scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on Download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC.
  • In the options box, select the PC operating system (note there's also an option for a MAC operating system here).
  • Take it from there.

As the Verizon customer service guy told me, be sure you've deleted the current desktop manager BEFORE doing the download.  The earlier (and properly working) version of desktop software downloaded in about a minute and to my surprise and relief instantly had the correct ID for my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and even had the synchronization settings correct, although I re-checked them to be sure.

And then with much trepidation, I clicked on "Synch" and to my great happiness, everything worked fine (again).  The system properly identified all the changes in recent days (with a few requests to confirm some stuff) and I'm now back to normal.

Now why couldn't BlackBerry have sent out or posted a notice to do this until they had the newer version fixed?  You'd think after all the bad press, they could at least have done this one right.  Thanks, Verizon, for filling in for the manufacturer.

Contributor
My Device: 9930

Some clarifications to my posting about two hours ago.

During the process while Windows was uninstalling the desktop manager, I got a question whether I also wanted to delete data.  Not knowing what all the implications would be, I did NOT check the box to also delete related data.

On the BlackBerry/RIM page headed BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC, ignore the highly featured item at the very top “Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC” followed by a very visible “download” button.  As I said in the second to last bullet, scroll to the BOTTOM of that page for “download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PCs.”

In my last bullet in my prior posting, I said “take it from there.”  I probably should have been clearer: You only need to download the first of the items listed there: “Desktop Software v6.1.0 B38 (Multilanguage).”  Ignore the rest.  In fact, I suspect the rest concerning device manager might only get you into trouble again but don’t know for sure.

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Despite all of the frustration I still vote for RIM. Every other software company has issues and Apple has as well. What can I say.. If they had an LTE Bold 9900 tomorrow I would buy it in a shot.. The reality is they ae making smart but painfull moves in the right direcion. Theya re learning.. releasing an LTE phone with horrible battery performance would be worse than waiting and doing it right.

Oh, WTF maybe I will get the 9900 next month anyway when my contract expires

and no I don't work for RIM and I was one of the first to report and experieince "Version 7"

Good luck everone

Contributor
My Device: 9930 OS7
My Carrier: Sprint

The 9900/9930 runs very well and I have been very happy with it as a work tool.  Very happy.  But RIM needs a dual core QNX OS in order not to remain a generation behind.