Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Blackberry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close

When I try to open Blackberry Desktop the message I get is that Blackberry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close.  I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and as a result I cannot sync.  Does this mean I need to uninstall and reinstall?  If I reinstall will I lose the update that I have on my phone that has changed the interface?  Will I have to reinstall that as well?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close

I'd say restart the computer first.  If it still can't open, then yes uninstall and reinstall the program from

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

You won't lose any updates or settings already applied to your phone.

It didn't work.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled and then uninstalled again and then went in to the program files and deleted everything that had Research in Motion attached to it and then reinstalled and rebooted but no luck.  I still get the same message

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you're having issues with Windows.  I forgot to ask what you're using...Win XP, vista, etc.  You can try windows updates then reinstall the desktop manager.  If that doesn't work, can you get a computer tech to look at this?  I'm hoping you wont have to reload windows.

My Device: Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Telus

I am running windows XP and have the same problem.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times.  If anyone finds a solution I'd sure like to hear it.  Thanks.

New Contributor

One reply thinks it is a Windows problem, not Blackberry. I am experimenting with Windows Update and will let you know how I make out. There is a possibility I will have to call a Tech
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Rogers

Does anyone have a solution to this yet?  I'm having the same problem on my XP laptop.  Have uniinstalled & reinstalled different versions of the DM software but to no avail - it will not launch without the error message. Now on the latest trial install, I am getting a Windows Installer  message, so I can't even install another DM version.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Also, for XP users, please be sure you are on SP3...that is the current minimum level required with the latest Desktop Software.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................