Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry Desktop Software.msi missing

At startup, Blackberry Desktop software autoloads.. Windows Installer window pops up and says: “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Enter an alternate path to folder containing the instruction package “Blackberry Desktop Software.msi.” in the box below: C:\users\ron\appdata\local\temp\WZSE1.tmp\1 Search says the msi file is not on computer. Attempt to uninstall Blackberry software interrupted…looking for same msi file to uninstall. Original install disk is V4.7 while installed version is 5.1..so can uninstall. Perhaps I goofed the install...perhaps Norton was a problem on download. Windows 7 OS.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software.msi missing

It seems that your startup shortcut is running the installer rather than the application. If you have the application installed, change your startup to run the application, not the installer. If you don't have the application installed, go download it again and re-install it.

New Contributor

Startup is running the Desktop manager...

I tried to download and reinstall, but the download process causes my laptop to open over 50 different logins to Blackberry and then my laptop locks up.

Tried uninstalling, but Windows installer won't let me...looking for same .msi file to install....

More ideas?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yellowdog wrote:

Startup is running the Desktop manager...

I tried to download and reinstall, but the download process causes my laptop to open over 50 different logins to Blackberry and then my laptop locks up.

Tried uninstalling, but Windows installer won't let me...looking for same .msi file to install....

More ideas?

Hello,

I suggest a clean uninstall...

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

You also might need to add the use of a registry cleansing tool given all that has gone on -- some have reported that to help. You also might need to emply Safe Mode at some point. Plus, for Vista/Win7, be sure to run everything using the "Run As Administrator" method.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Using Doc ID KB02206 to uninstall brings me back to the "install shield wizard" is not available on this machine...still stuck... And when I try to go the Blackberry website for updates, thinking that might get me somewhere, it says there are "no updates available." Need more help here....
New Contributor

In my further quest...I loaded the original V4.7 install cd and when it qued up, I went to the website and started a download of "English" 5.01 with media. The Install wizard started and it took 30 minutes to download. After the download, I clicked to install. Immediately I got the original message, "C:\users\ron\appdata\local\temp\WSEO.tmp\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'Blackberry Desktop Software.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product, 'Blackberry Desktop Software 5.0.'" When I clieck cancel on the aborted install, I get the following: Error 1714. The older version of Blackberry Desktop Software cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. Then it says "wizard interrupted...run setup again." I've done this several times with the same results.... Help!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yellowdog wrote:
Using Doc ID KB02206 to uninstall brings me back to the "install shield wizard" is not available on this machine...still stuck... And when I try to go the Blackberry website for updates, thinking that might get me somewhere, it says there are "no updates available." Need more help here....

I'm guessing the red highlighted text above to be at the core of your problems. Install Shield is a standard component of all Windows machines...if it's removed from yours, then that dependency is not met for the RIM software, resulting it what we love to call "unexpected results". I think you need to get Install Shield back in place. And, before you ask, I've no idea about that -- it's a Windows component as far as I understand.

Or, while not the exact same message, perhaps this KB provides some insight?

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: verizon

I experienced the same situation yellowdog described on January 20, 2010.  I had to enlist a professional to successfully uninstall desktop 4.7.  Then reinstalled BB device software, then desktop 5.0, everything worked fine, but because Desktop 5.0 loaded on startup, booting up took forever.  After 2 months of this, I unchecked BB Desktop from startup services, resulting in faster boot up. I launched BB Desktop 5.0 once a week to backup my device with no issues.  But then yesterday, I attempted to do same and I got the missing *.MSI message that I got in January and that Yellowdog described.  I think I know how to follow the uninstall, reinstall, reinstall steps, but as much as anything, I'd like to know what I might have done to cause this, and how to avoid it in the future.  Thank you sdgardne for your assistance. 

Thanks greatly.

Jonathan Smith

--
Jonathan Smith
www.linkedIn.com/in/jonathanwsmith
www.twitter.com/jonathanwsmith
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

What I did was disable the UAC in Windows Vista, reboot, install the Windows Install Cleanup Utility (MSICUU2.exe), use that program to yank out the old Blackberry Desktop Manager software, updated the Windows Installer version, rebooted, no more issues.  Just a side note, I had to run the cleanup utility twice on the Blackberry Desktop software to remove it, which was just a couple of extra clicks.  By the way, you have to download the MSICUU2.exe from a 3rd party site now.  Microsoft will no longer endorse the program.  Smiley Happy

My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: mtn

okay so i had software 5 and it wouldnt let me uninstall ! kept failing last minute!so i went to start > run > typed regedit.exe in the bar . then scroll to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE when registry editor opens  . then SOFTWARE and find RESEARCH IN MOTION delete the whole folder ! click yes when prompted. now try uninstall again it wont give you an error Smiley Happy