Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Blackberry Desktop Software - really bad stuff

I'm a very new BB owner/user, having upgraded (?) recently from a Nokia E71 smart phone to a Torch 9800.  I sincerely hope that RIM will take a hard look at Nokia's desktop software.  It is so far superior to the BB thing that comparisons are impossible.  It looks like RIM simply licensed Intellisync and put their own face on it.  Intellisync was a piece of junk many years ago when I used it and it looks like it hasn't improved.  BB Desktop takes forever to load and longer to connect to the Torch.  The functionality doesn't compare to Nokia's product as I said.  The value/benefits of the Torch over the Nokia device I had are seriously diminished by the many problems and irritations I find with the BB Desktop!

Highlighted
Elite II
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software - really bad stuff

[ Edited ]

This is very normal that we resist changes. I know you're not different then average individuals. As you said you came from Nokia phone to BlackBerry world and it will take little bit to settle you down!! Please be patient and look at your BlackBerry device with love and open heart! I'm sure that you'll keep on loving this wonderful device.

Just to share my experience, I too came in BlackBerry world with such a perception like yours. You're lucky that you came from Nokia and started using the most advanced BlackBerry Torch 9800!! I started with BlackBerry 8700g!!! Since then I never went back to ANY OTHER DEVICE other then BLACKBERRY!!! I don't except you to be like me...and I understand your frustration about slowness of BlackBerry Desktop Manager. But I assure you things will change as RIM is constantly working on developing and improving there products.

Have a nice time with BlackBerry.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

It's not the Torch that I have problems with.  It's the Desktop Software that, as I said, dimishes the whole experience.  As a device the Torch is great and I am still getting used to it but until the Desktop Software is replaced with something that complements the Torch and other BB devices I will feel a little short-changed.

Elite II
My Carrier: grameenphone

RIM is going to release a new version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Version 6.1. Actual release date is not know. I hope some of the lacking in the current version will be improved.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Just to clarfy, I don't think I mentioned "slowness".  What I am referring to is the functionality or lack there of compared to Nokia - there is no comparison.  There are many irritating problems with the whole Sync process.  It duplicates calendar entries, particularly recurring entries.  But unlike the Nokia system I can't view or manage phone content with ease from my laptop.

Outside of Intellisync, AKA BB Desktop, my 9800 does not sync email well, particualrly sent items.  I prefer to leave my email on the GMAIL server and I use Outlook 2007 to manage my email but I also want to see it all on my BB.  To do this I set POP username with the "recent:" prefix.  All this worked fine with Nokia email.  Not very well with BB.  Overall my experience so far with BB has not been great.

Visitor
My Device: 8800
My Carrier: AT & T

I totally agree. I am not able to see a worse software than this. I am a long blackberry business user (at least for 10 years). I have been using BB desktop manager 4.x in my PC for a long time, never bother to update until today I have to upgrade to BB desktop software 6.1.0.35 downloaded from BB's website. the reason for this was BB (or ATT) removed their web interface that could let me create BB email account, I was told I have to create email account from my own BB device -- I was never happy about this. (my buz account won't show me an option "create an internet account", instead only has enterprise server account option in my device).  desktop was bad enough, however, I only used it for sync up with outlook, so work well. After upgrade there are several things almost unacceptable: 1) I am using  a multi-Language windows set, this software auto-detected it and only show me "everything in Chinese" with no option!!!! no English manual!!!. Ok, bear with that, 2) the next bad thing is: Chinese is my native language, however, it was so poorly  translated that I couldn't even understand the meaning. 3) I did try to copy my photos from my PC folder (was a backup for my iPhone photos) to BB folder, it only has 2% working -- means if I copy 100 photos there only can get 2 photos copied. (i'd prefer not working at all like my old desktop manager). 4) I was expecting this new desktop could provide me a few more fonts than 4.x, but supprisingly -- Nope! I have many other things to complain -- no time here. General speaking, from those basic functions, I can imagin how bad managment BB has and how bad programmers BB has, what are they getting the pay for? I don't really understand!