Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry bold 9900 ( Blackberry user)
My Carrier: +919435071820

Blackberry ID varification failure

I have a Blackberry bold 9900 smartphone with OS 7, Earlier I have created my Blackberry ID & password, but now I have forgotten the password and I have attempted maximum time i.e 10 times with that wrong password as a result  my Blackberry ID has been locked.
Now when I tried to verify my Blackberry ID by entering through  Option>Device>Blackberry ID, then password is asked.I have reset the password. But with that new password also, the massage displayed " you have exceeded the number of attemts to sign in". 
Please advice me as how to verify my Blackberry ID.
 My Blackberry cellPIN=289D2D8C and IMEI = 358567.04.859006.7
Rajeeb Dhar

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry ID varification failure

First, we cannot do anything with your account. As such it is unwise to post your pin and IMEI number on the Internet for all the world to see. Please remove it. Also, you have your phone number entered in "my Carrier" to the left and that is also unwise to have posted on the Internet. Please go to My Settings at the top of the page and to to Personal Information and change that to the name of your carrier.

As for the BBID problem, can you go to bbid.com on a PC and click on the reset password link?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Blackberry ID verification failure

I had something similar....

I plugged my phone into computer with USB to charge it (and wanted to transfer image files over as well as I hadn't done it in a while)

Then it asked me for a password..Thinking it was asking for the PIN I typed my PIN to unlock the keyboard in

INCORRECT

I thought I had accidentally typed it in wrong, so entered the same PIN again to unlock my phone

INCORRECT

It asked me to type in "blackberry" , then asked me for a password again, so I tried another "password" I thought it could be asking for

INCORRECT

Tried another one...

INCORRECT

Think it asked me to type in "blackberry" again (not sure why). It notified me if I got the password wrong the final fifth time that it would start clearing my phone of all its data (so that would include all my images...!)

I had no idea what PASSWORD it was asking for (if it had maybe given me a password hint or something I might have had more of a clue! As I thought it was just asking for my PIN! Why would it be asking for my, now I figure, blackberry password or blackberry id password...There's two different passwords?!)

So I really needed to use my phone, and did only what I could think to do to be able to use it, which was put in my PIN one last time...

PHONE BLOCKED (11% and increasing of my data being deleted!)

So now I've lost EVERYTHING on my phone including all the images I was originally trying to copy from my phone to my computer. 

Is there nothing I can do to recover them?!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

QLauren wrote:

I had something similar....

I plugged my phone into computer with USB to charge it (and wanted to transfer image files over as well as I hadn't done it in a while)

Then it asked me for a password..Thinking it was asking for the PIN I typed my PIN to unlock the keyboard in

INCORRECT

I thought I had accidentally typed it in wrong, so entered the same PIN again to unlock my phone

INCORRECT

It asked me to type in "blackberry" , then asked me for a password again, so I tried another "password" I thought it could be asking for

INCORRECT

Tried another one...

INCORRECT

Think it asked me to type in "blackberry" again (not sure why). It notified me if I got the password wrong the final fifth time that it would start clearing my phone of all its data (so that would include all my images...!)

I had no idea what PASSWORD it was asking for (if it had maybe given me a password hint or something I might have had more of a clue! As I thought it was just asking for my PIN! Why would it be asking for my, now I figure, blackberry password or blackberry id password...There's two different passwords?!)

So I really needed to use my phone, and did only what I could think to do to be able to use it, which was put in my PIN one last time...

PHONE BLOCKED (11% and increasing of my data being deleted!)

So now I've lost EVERYTHING on my phone including all the images I was originally trying to copy from my phone to my computer. 

Is there nothing I can do to recover them?!

It was asking for your device password.  That is a security feature common to every BlackBerry ever made.  If you password protect it you can't bypass the protection by connecting it to a computer.

If you had no backup made then your data is gone.  Sorry for the bad news. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Urrrggggghhhh that is really disappointing! Vodaphone said I might be able to retrieve images from here..? But, no?

Can you tell me what the type in "blackberry" was all about??

Do you work for blackberry? Would perhaps be nice to have a password hint option available when asking for this password as I don't believe I have ever been asked for a PASSWORD before when plugging my phone into computer via USB, so not sure why it asked my this time..!

I went to my network provider (vodafone) and they told me to log in to this to review and perhaps change password (I got it on the second go) but I hardly ever use this feature service (website!) either so asking it then on my phone which it has never asked for before is a little harsh!

Then when I did log in it gives you two separate password options... Password Edit and Password Recovery Edit

Are those two different passwords? And if so, was the phone asking for the first or second?

Guru II

Typing in BlackBerry the first time allows you to see the letters in the password you're typing.  The second time, just as the prompt said, it is letting you know that your data will be deleted if you type it in wrong again.  Again, it told you before it did it.  It is simply the same password you use to unlock your device.  It's not your BBID password so no need to change your BBID password.  It is the password you use many times a day to unlock the phone, if you have password protected your phone. 

No, sorry, I don't work for BlackBerry.  This forum is for peer to peer assistance.  I'm just a BlackBerry user just like yourself.  Unless you made a backup using Desktop Software or BlackBerry Protect then there is no getting your data back.  Again, this is a security feature to protect your data against someone attempting to gain unauthorized access.

New Contributor

I heard Blackberry is staying "alive" just now because of its security system...

But I ask, is a really good security system to ask you for a password (that you DON'T use everyday - the unlock keypad PIN I use everyday...), not give you any hints about this password if you type it in wrong. Then clear your phone of all its data to make it "usable" for the next person (if it was stolen...!) without sending any backups of the data to say...this online blackberry feature?

Guru II

But that's what it is. It's the password you use to unlock your keypad every day. You must have been typing it in wrong. One common error people make is that they set a password using the keypad thinking they are entering numbers when they are really entering letters. For example, on the device you may think you're entering "1234" but really you're entering "wers" because for numbers you must hold the alt key.

Did you enable BlackBerry Protect beforehand? If so, you may be able to retrieve some of your lost data from there. You need to set up either BB Protect or make frequent backups using Desktop Manager.

That said, it gave you the opportunity to stop but yet you continued and typed in BlackBerry when it told you it was going to wipe your data. All the options you mention, giving hints, sending the data to the cloud for backup when someone is attempting to gain access to the device all create security holes.

I hate to sound brash but it sounds like the security feature did its job. I've been the victim of lost data because I didn't make backups--in fact I didn't learn the first time and had it happen a second time. Sometimes it takes something like this to push us into a little better awareness of the need to backup our data regularly.