Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Maps Not Downloading Map Data

Hi, I use a BB8320 Curve and prior to resetting the device back to default status I was successfully using the Blackberry Maps application. Since resetting the device to default status to cure a BES issue I have been unable to use the Maps application. When I open the application it just shows diagonal lines continuously and refuses to download any map data at all.  I know that the network is all OK, and my wife's BB is perfectly capable of receiving the map data (So I know our data account is live etc), but my device refuses to play ball for me.  Does anyone have any clues as to what might be amiss with my set up? The BB is running 4.2 software and was fully functioning before a hard reset.  Should I try another hard reset to see if that cures it perhaps?  Any clues gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Maps Not Downloading Map Data

what is the text written next to the network sign on top right corner ?
gsm
GSM
edge
EDGE
CDMA
1Xev
1XEV
3G

?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hi Xandrex, the text is GSM.  All other phone functions are 100%, including web browser etc. Does this assist you? Many thanks.
Guru I

you can't use blackberry maps unless you have EDGE / 3G / 1XEV / CDMA.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Sorry, I meant to put GPRS (not GSM) .... the device was working Maps until I reset the device completely ....
Guru I

same answer.
if you had maps before, it's because you had at that time more than GRPS. You have to understand why you don't today.

New Contributor

Hmm, OK, I will go along with that, although my wifes 8320 is on exactly the same data plan, and has nothing more than my device and yet it is still good for maps .... I will contact Orange and see if they can shed any further light on the problem. Thanks for your input todate, I appreciate that!

Steve

Highlighted
New Contributor

Update - Apparently the MAPS service was not correctly provisioned within the service books. When the service books were resent, although the MAPS service was present, it still did not function. Orange recommended a complete software reflash which involved wiping the device and re-installing the latest and greatest operating version. This was done but the MAPS application was NOT re-installed at that time! I am now about to try re-installing the software via the desktop manager to see if that fixes the issue.