Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Maps on Pearl 8120

Hi everyone,

I hope somebody can help me - I think I have a problem  with my Pearl.

I have an external GPS unit that is paired  and I can find my location using Options/Advanced Options/GPS.

Blackberry Maps is loaded because there is also an option in Options/Advanced Options that says Maps, and if I select Applications it tells me among other things that Blackberry Maps is loaded version 2.0.26.

BUT, how do I useBlackberry maps - there is no icon on the applications screen or any clues how to run it.

I downloaded it from Blackberry.com and it installed directly to my Pearl.

This is driving me mad am I missing something.

Please help

Many Thanks

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Blackberry Maps on Pearl 8120

make sure its not hidden, go to home screen and push menu and select show all. also who is your service provider? have you ever used BBmaps before on this pearl?
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Answers to your questions

1) Show all is already selected.

2) My service provider is Orange but my Pearl is unlocked to any network.

3) I've never used BBmaps before on this phone.

I had the phone as an xmas present and i'm only just finding out what it can do, I still haven't changed the ringtone as at work all mobiles have to be on silent or vibrate.

Thanks again for your help.

itwhiz

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have got exactly the same problem with my Pearl 8120 (Orange). BBmaps did show initially when I first powered on the phone but when I clicked on the icon it began to load the maps then exited the application and the icon dissapeared. When I try to view my location in bbbmaps using a link in a different application I get a message advising that blackberry maps is disabled.

I have uninstalled BBmaps and reinstalled it and still get the same problem.

From what I can see on the net it looks like Blackberry maps is not enabled on the Orange network!

Message Edited by abywater on 06-25-2008 02:04 PM

Hi Guys I have the same **bleep** problem.

Been on to orange so many times and no luck despite god knows how many SIM updates.

Does the phone need an external GPS unit, there is no mention of this requirement for using the maps function on the blackberry homepage. 

I also have no Icons for GPS or MAPS and I have downloaded the software and can see them listed in my settings submenus.

Has anybody managed to sort this problem yet??

New Contributor

I have got a Bluetooth GPS unit and the maps still don't work so it is not down to that.

From what I have read on the internet you can modify one of the files on your phone to remove the Orange restriction. Have given up on it now and just using googlemaps.