Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Media Sync Problems

I too used Blackberry Media Sync to sync with iTunes on my Curve 8330 with OS 4.3.0.124.  I am also finding that after a sync or reboot of the Blackberry,  the media / music list on the Blackberry take 5-10 minutes to repopulate the list.  I am also finding that it does not include all of my music stored on the Blackberry after wiaitng 20 minutes.  I haven't tried waiting longer as I just loaded  Blackberry media Sync this morning.  The missing music is on the device as I checked through Blackberry Desktop Media Manager (Roxio) and I can see the files on the device allthough they are not in my music list on the Blackberry.   I have never had an issue using the Roxio Media manager.  The music list was always in place.  Is this working as designed or is there a setting that I did not select?
New Contributor

Here are my details:

Sprint 8130

OS 4.3.0.127

Windows Vista SP1

Laster version of itunes

I don't have BB desktop manager installed and don't intend to.  Mass Storage Mode works and is how I have tranferred music to the device in the past.  I tried both with it set to prompt and without it set to prompt.

I did try formatting the memory card using the Blackberry and tried to sync again with no luck.  I have not tried the full device wipe.

Developer
My Device: You wish.

@michaellawyer, this sounds like a bug with the Media app indexing the files on the BlackBerry for searching. As an alternative you can use the file explorer to go to the directory where the music is and play by folder structure. From the Media App Click Full Menu and then chose explore and then navigate to the location where the files are on the BlackBerry and then click full menu on a file / folder to play it.
New Contributor

Verizon Pearl 8130

8GB Sandisk MicrosdHC card

OS  4.3

Media Sync works fine in that I can connect, and all the non-DRM songs are transferred. Performance is incredibly slow. By that I mean, transferring around 1200 songs took at least 4-5 hours (!). After I disconnect from the PC it takes an hour or more for songs to show up in all the playlists (at first I thought all the playlists were empty, but songs started showing up eventually...slowly).

There seems to be an awful lot of overhead to the music indexing, because this is orders of magnitude slower than direct copying to the MicroSD card.

Contributor

I have a Sprint 8330 Curve With the 4.3.0.127 software.

It has an 8gig Micro SDHC memory card.

I have loaded 1500 songs on it via mass storage mode(transfers at a decent rate of speed).

These music files are mp3's and take up approx 5.25 gig.

The BlackBerry sees the memory card correctly in both total size and amount used/space available.

All i.d. tagging correct and consistant in my library on the desktop of the media that was moved to the BlackBerry.

Problems/Bugs

1: In the media player on the Curve it will not list all the songs, artist, album whatever, no matter if sorting them by genre, song title, album, what ever.

2: If I turn the Curve off, when I turn it back on it takes somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes to list all the music that it will (and it appears the "missing" mp3s are always the same range of music, ie in the "rock" genre anything before Don Henley in a alpha sort).

I can go to the Media folder and hit menu, explore and see all of the mp3's that way, and they will play just fine.

It doesn't seem to matter if all the mp3's are all together in the "Music" folder or seperated in the "Music" folder in sub-folders, say, seperated into genre subfolders, same exact issue.

If anyone has any ideas I'm just trying to figure out if it's me or a possible issue that may be addressed.

Thanks Curtis 

New Contributor

I have gotten Blackberry Media Sync working on my BB 8330 Curve with an 8gb MicroSDHC card installed.  While the Curve sees my 8gb disk, I too find that it takes almost 30 minutes for all the songs (573) to show up in the play list.  This is quite different than my iPod nano where they show up immediately when I turn it on.

I am presuming it is because the BB only reads the microSDHC card when starting up, and with a lot of songs on it, it takes quite a while to read them all.  Certainly once the songs are "read" they play just fine.

Peace, Tom

Contributor

I am wonderingif there is some sort of file size limit for the programs indexing file or if there's is a time out limit for the indexing that happens when you turn it on.... my issue described above seems to be limit related....lol

Contributor

999, that's how it wound up...lol
 I loaded them up a couple hundred at a time. When I got to 1005 I noticed some from the top were missing. I checked and the first 6 I loaded were/would not show in the media player. I deleted the last 6 I loaded taking the total to 999 and they all showed up. If I add any more now they start rolling off the ones I loaded first... They are actually still on the card, but will not display in the media player. :confused:

I have tried a few different thing to verify(add-remove-add-remove, battery, off-on, reseat memorycard, ect) I come up with 999... period...lol

Music is still on the Card, just will not list in media player.

Any Ideas out there?

Thanks, Curtis

Developer
My Device: You wish.

@ssitruc Sounds like a bug within the Media app on the BlackBerry. Hopefully one of the moderators will pick up on this post and look into it further. As I noted for michaellawyer you can use the file explorer UI of the media app instead of the 'pretty' indexed UI to get around this for the meantime.
Contributor

Message moved:

While I am delighted with my new Curve, I have to express my amazement at the shoddy execution of the media transfer software provided by RIM.

First, the Roxio sofware is as buggy as they come. The upgrade to v. 4.5 (which the software doesn't even alert you to- you're required to "check in" from time to time, which even freeware doesn't require you to do) solved some of the issues- like Runtime errors every six seconds for example, or the freeze up from selecting folders to monitor. 

The Roxio interface is so 1992- however, it likes to scroll down to the bottom of each media list (displayed on the top right side of the screen) by itself.  Frustrating. Rio Taxi was more advanced than this afterthought. It is also slower than molasses on a cold day. You'll think you're running a Cyrix 100 MHz chip. 

But wait. there's more! We now have Blackberry Media Sync. It has a selection to add "recently added files." Unfortunately, the soltware doesn't tell you what it considers "recent" so it adds the same files over and over again. If there was a daily upgrade featurefor say, news podcasts, that would be great. Better still just present a list of what you want to add instead of entire categories. 

Both systems have no way to block adding files that are already on your phone. So frequent clean ups of dupicated podcasts, videos and music are the order of the day

Give me a break. This is really bush league stuff that never should have been released.