Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Media Sync Problems

fatmommacat wrote:
The play list on the BB phone works but the only prob i have is that some of the files it cant downloaded because (im guessing) they are protected. I dont get it. I bought the songs so I should be able to put em on the phone  !! ugh. Anyway around that?

hello,
I'll be off topic but people need to know...

when you buy a song from that kind of store where you bought it, you don't buy the song. You bought the right to use the song on media players that are partners with that music store. The technical word is be "DRM". so if you buy music from iTunes music store, you have the right to listen to the song using only the players that have bought the right to read those DRM. that is, the iPod, iTunes, and some few music players.

Since RIM didn't buy that DRM licence, the Blackberry device can't read files that contain those DRM. Even with the Blackberry Media Sync.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Maxx,

Does the sync work both ways for you?  That is, when syncing, does your BB update WM and tell it what tracks were played and when?   

This is pretty crucial for automatic podcast updating, that removes tracks once they've been listened to.

Thanks!

Brian>>

No, it doesn't tell me what was played, and frankly, I know of no syncing set up that does so. 

Contributor

Just to follow up on the DRM issue, there are songs that I have that are most certainly NOT protected, yet will not play properly on my Curve- it just zips through a three minute song in 10 seconds. Not sure why this happens.

To determine if your content is DRM's simply right click and look at the "properties" tab. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

maxx wrote:

Just to follow up on the DRM issue, there are songs that I have that are most certainly NOT protected, yet will not play properly on my Curve- it just zips through a three minute song in 10 seconds

Hello,

you can find information regarding this specific point here :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=5140

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex, thank you very much for your reply, but the files in question are WMA files residing in my WM player's library. They will transfer and play on my MP3 players without a hitch, but there are a few that simply will not play on the Curve- this includes songs I ripped myself, and even songs WITHIN the same album,
New Contributor

It appears that the rest of this thread has meaningfully deviated from the original topic so i'm replying to this one.  I just installed Media Sync today and I'm having the "unable to connect" problem too also and before i try the extreme wipe solution i'll share my details here.   Note, it appears to hand shake, the media sync identifies my Pin #, the two keep handshaking, the mass storage mode question comes up (i tried answering yes & no), i see the pc and mobile phone with double arrows going back & forth but then the red light on the bold comes on and then it finally gives up and says it can't connect, try again.

BlackBerry Model:  [Bold 9000]

- BlackBerry OS Version (Options | About) [v4.6.0.134]

- Desktop Operating System, [Windows Vista SP1]

- Do you use Desktop Manager? [not really but i do have it installed] Does it detect the Blackberry as expected? [yes]

- With Mass Storage enabled, does the drive appear as expected in Windows Explorer? [yes]

[[Some other tidbits worth sharing,  4gb SD card,  I have the following other 3rd party apps installed:  Google Apps (Google Search, Gmail, etc.), Facebook, GoogleTalk, Zagat-to-go and Avaya one-X Mobile]]

I hope someone has figured out a solution to this so I can actually make use of Media Sync.  

Thanks,

Humphrey

New Contributor

update:  I just wiped my Bold including 3rd party apps to see if that would solve this issue and unfortunately it hasn't. Note too that within Windows Explorer i have no issues seeing the Blackberry drives so there doesn't appear to be a problem with my USB driver. 

By the way, i do agree with the earlier poster that the Roxio media manager software is pretty buggy & lame.  I tried that a few times and it pretty consistently failed plus the UI is miserable.  I have no idea why it makes my Scanner turn on, etc.  It's as if it tries to do "everything" and then ends up essentially doing very little.  

Hoping that this Media Sync will save the day but it's off to a bit of a rocky start.  

Blackberry Media Sync - Connection Problem

After reading some of the posts above and following one of the poster's instructions, it looks like the problem with the BB not being able to connect is resolved (at least for me).  All I did was format or delete all the folders on my media card (either through a reader or through connecting the Blackberry to the computer and using the hard disk mode and then using Explorer to format).  After formatting and turning off/on my Blackberry and then turning on BB Media Sync, it worked this time.  No more connection error!
New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Media Sync - Connection Problem

Update 2:  I did also finally resolve my issue here.  For me the solution involved discovering that there were two previous versions of Rim's Desktop Manager installed in addition to the latest version 4.6, (had 4.3 and another 4.x).  After I uninstalled the two others and connected my Bold to my laptop (Vista SP1), it finally connected properly and now it works too.  It looks like Video's and Podcasts aren't supported yet, which is a bummer but reasonable to start with music first.  

thanks,

Humphrey 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry Media Sync Problems, slightly different from most others

I haven't seen the exact same details with my Media Sync problems but here's what I've got and what I'm observing:

MAIN SYMPTOM:

When I attemp to run Media Sync to synchronize my iTunes with my Bold (thus saving me the trouble of manually dragging/dropping files) I get the following popup error message: "The BlackBerry Media Sync installation failed to initialize. Please run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager with administrative privileges and try again.". But when I try running it as Administrator, (I usually run it fine as my non-Admin self) the Desktop Manager shows up with no icons in it.

Any ideas? 

MY CONFIGURATION: 

- Blackberry Bold, w. 4.0.0.134; this is my 3rd one, for unrelated issues, and I've had the same Media Sync problem with each one.

- Desktop v. 4.6.

- Dell PC running Vista SP1, but problem was there in pre-SP1.

- iTunes 8.0, but problem was also there in pre-8.0.

- No problems with desktop sync, backups, restore.

- Roxio Media Manager works, although slow as molasses. It's faster for me to drag/drop the files in folders.