Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry Music Gateway 2 Specs

I just received my Blackberry Music Gateway from shopblackberry.com

I have this paired with my Verizon Bold 9650 in my car and seems to work pretty well.

One thing I have noticed is that the sound quality is some what flat/muted when playing high quality mp3s (320kbps).

I was curious as to what the bluetooth specifications were on the Gateway. I was not able to find if it supports 3.0 or 4.0, or even apt-x ?

Would upgrading to a newer phone that supports Bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0 result in better sound quality ?

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Music Gateway 2 Specs

info on A2DP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

I find the quality good although my ears are not.

It is about the same as CD quality when used in my 2009 Trucks premium system.

My guess is that it can only stream a certain amount of quality via bletooth and the codec being used is not the same as what the MP3 has.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Music Gateway 2 Specs

I have been searching for inforamtion about this.

I have understood the following:

• sending audio through BlueTooth requires to be compatible with a "BlueTooth codec"
  • for a device to get the BlueTooth certification, there needs to be compatible with one set of compression, that can diminish the overall quality of the sound (ie not a problem for a phone call)
  • the BT certification also has a special codec that simply encapsulates the audio stream, and at the receiving device, the decoding is made ; this special codec is not required for BT devices.

so in the end, I don't know if a given BT device can do option 3.

Which means that a low end BT device pairs will do :

1. device 1 : read mp3, uncompress it
  2. device 1 : compress it into the BT lossy codec
  3. device 2 : receive the lossy compressed audio stream
  4. device 2 : uncompress and play the audio steam

as you can see, both BT devices would require option 3 to be able to not deteriorate the quality.

Do you guys have any info on that as far as BlackBerry devices are concerned?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: