Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Telus

Blackberry OS6 update for Storm?

I just read an article saying that there will not be an upgrade of the OS6 for the Storm series.  I hope this is not true, because it will be very upsetting since the Storm phones are the multimedia phones for blackberry before the torch.

Please respond if you have fact that this is true or not.

If this is true blackberry will have many unhappy customers

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/8/4/blackberry-os-6-not-available-storm-smartpho...

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry OS6 update for Storm?

What you read is what you read. No one here has information to the contrary.

That said, who knows, there could be something one day. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know.

So... a definitive answer? What you read will have to stand for now.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BB Storm2

[ Edited ]

Clearly RIMM has lost its touch. I predict RIM will continue to have market share easily taken by Apple and Driods? Why? Because RIM disappoints many BB user of the original multi media BB, the Storm.  BB OS 6 not available for the Storm2. Are your for real. I see an iPhone or DROID in my future. No wonder RIMM's return is -18% for year to date. Say good by to being the leader in market share! I really regret getting the Storm2 4 months ago. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

morgawf1 wrote:

Clearly RIMM has lost its touch. I predict RIM will continue to have market share easily taken by Apple and Driods? Why? Because RIM disappoints many BB user of the original multi media BB, the Storm.  BB OS 6 not available for the Storm2. Are your for real. I see an iPhone or DROID in my future. No wonder RIMM's return is -18% for year to date. Say good by to being the leader in market share! I really regret getting the Storm2 4 months ago. 

Oh give it a break. OS 6 is currently not available for ANY device.

And regardless, RIM still leads the Smartphone market device sales.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Has RIM lost touch or do they just want to sell new devices... not upgrading old devices gives them an edge to get users to upgrade to new devices, but there is a down side... new upgrades may not be BB's

New Contributor
My Device: BB Storm2

It's unfortunate that 6 seems to need more memory than the Storm2 has on board. Oh well, that's life.

Visitor
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

[ Edited ]

I am very disappointed about this apparent development.  My first Smartphone was a Curve 8330 and I have been a faithful Blackberry user ever since.  However, if RIM refuses to make OS 6 for the Storm 2 I will have no choice but to respond to this betrayal in kind and get a DROID by Motorola.  It does not seem to me to be a good business decision to abandon your high end Blackberry users while making OS 6 available for the Bold and other mid-line devices.  I am already annoyed enough that the Blackberry Browser search engine on the Storm 2 is locked on Bing now (which sucks), when you used to be able to select Google or Wikipedia etc.  That being said, I know the Bing decision was Verizon's and RIM had no part (I think) in that decision.  But to the end user this is two whacks in quick succession.  First, we will limit the choices available to Storm 2 users, then we will block them from getting the new OS.  If RIM does not change their stance on "no OS 6 for the Storm 2" they will have lost this loyal customer for good, I'm sorry to say.  I would say this is an all-around cluster <something>...

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9630
My Carrier: verizon wireless

BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 

Product Overview

BlackBerry® Device Software 6.0 features a redesigned interface that seamlessly works with a touch screen and trackpad, expanded messaging capabilities that simplify managing social media and RSS feeds, an advanced multimedia experience that rivals the best in the industry, a convenient new Universal Search tool, and a new and efficient WebKit-based browser that renders web pages quickly and beautifully for a great browsing experience.

Features

• Support for  slide-out keyboard, touch screen and trackpad
  • Enhanced Webkit-based Browser

• Open multiple web pages at the same time using tabbed browsing
    • Support for HTML 5 
    • View enhanced web page rendering
  • Universal Search

• Available from the Home screen, Messages Application, Media application, Options application and more
  • Multimedia

• Music

• Support for Wi-Fi® music sync
      • Scroll through songs while playing a song
      • Select artist or album to view related songs while playing a song
    • Videos

• Set video thumbnail
    • Pictures

• Select multiple pictures at the same time
      • Sort pictures by date
  • Security

• View IT policy information from the Security Status Information screen in the Options application
  • Pre-loaded applications:

• Facebook® for BlackBerry® smartphones 1.8
    • BlackBerry Podcasts® for BlackBerry smartphones 1.0
    • Social Feeds® 1.0
    • YouTube™

Compatibility with Existing BlackBerry Smartphones

BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 will debut on the new BlackBerry® Torch™ smartphone and is also designed to run on select BlackBerry smartphones already in market. Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 and BlackBerry® Pearl™ 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm II 9550

that is absolutely **bleep** that OS6 is not available for storm II 9550.

I guess I'll have to look for other alternatives besides BB

New Contributor
My Device: STORM II

[ Edited ]

I moved from the Palm platform with the release of the Blackberry Storm 1. Hearing all the good things about RIM and the Blackberry platform, the release of a RIM Smart phone intrigued me.

My frustration and disappointment with the software operation of the Storm was tempered by learning of the iPhone issues; My adult son that is an avid Apple enthusiast and, through our conversations I've learned that not everything is great in Apple land - with business email and similar software issues (like the lack of Flash) both phones carry baggage.

So, I followed Crackberry hacks and learned how to get the best from the Storm 1.  When Storm 2 was announced with Wi-Fi, a better touch screen, and faster performance, I bought in.  And while those enhancements greatly helped the overall functionality, the browser was and is pathetic.  But, I hung on thinking that a software upgrade must be in the future.

Needless to say, when OS 6 was announced - and clarified that it required 512 MB of Ram (instead of the Storm 2 256 MB) I was blown away.  My conclusion is that RIM has made a BAD business decision not to offer Storm 2 owners a way UP.

Is there not a way to upgrade the existing device with 512 memory capacity?  If there is, then RIM could create an upgrade recall - or trade out program.  I say this because I have not read anything about keeping the Storm footprint in future models - and I really like it.  Having a slide out keyboard in portrait does not work for my stubby fingers.  And, need I remind RIM of the cost for optional hardware; charging stands, chargers, cables, headset adapters, holsters, etc.  I easily spend an additional $200 on such items – that usually don't fit other RIM devices.

I guess what disturbs me most is the inconsiderate way RIM costs it's customers money; so far I've bought 2 Storms in 2 years.  If they do not come up with a financially sound way to upgrade I, like most Storm owners I've communicated with, will be looking for a new phone – and NOT a Blackberry.

I would hope that someone at RIM is moderating these forums and reporting to management and marketing how much they are **bleep** off their formally loyal customer base.

EDIT: Removed swearing

John