Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry OS6

HobbesHobbes wrote:

In my opinion OS6 is complete garbage, and like a customer of mine with over 200 Blackberry phones in the Corportion I will be going back to OS5. Cant believe they would put out something like this, my home screen is unusable due to the multi-tone configuration, and I cant even read a number on the screen as I type it in due to the extremely tiny size of the numbers. Issues are too numerous to list, and doesnt deserve the time to bother, will be switching to a competitor once my Contract expires.

Thoughly disgusted

Tim

I know I'm a few months late with this response, but if it'll help others, it'll be worth it.

You're experiencing problems with OS 6 because you installed it on a phone with only 256 MB of onboard memory.  ALL BLACKBERRY PHONES THAT SHIP WITH OS 6 HAVE 512 MB MINIMUM.  In addition, your carrier did not recommend this as an update (nor would they ever do so), you went out and got it on your own.  Now you're complaining that it doesn't work properly.  I've got a Torch with 512 MB and OS 6 works like a charm.

For anyone who's thinking of installing OS 6 on a 256 MB phone, take my advice and just don't do it.  I'll guarantee you're going to run into problems.  If you're not sure how much memory your phone has, either look at the descriptions of the phones on this site or PM me and I'll tell you.

(We now return you to your previously scheduled thread.)

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]
I upgraded to OS6 on my BB Bold as instructed by Verizon to improve the performance and reliability of the phone. It turned out to be a defective phone). The replacement also came with V6. It is MUCH worse, nearly unusable compared to OS5. None of the suggestions I have seen from anywhere have helpd. I have 200M+ of free memory, so I do not think that is the problem. It seems like there are just a bunch of processes running in the background all the time, but they have to be BB processes, because I have uninstalled everything else. I expect I will have to revert back to v5. Annoying, but at least it worked.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

calebraymer wrote:
I upgraded to OS6 on my BB Bold as instructed by Verizon to improve the performance and reliability of the phone.
It seems like there are just a bunch of processes running in the background all the time, but they have to be BB processes, because I have uninstalled everything else.

That's pretty much what I'm talking about.  There are many processes running in OS 6 and you need the memory to run them effectively.  You're not going to run them smoothly with only 256 MB of onboard memory.

DO NOT blame OS 6.  It runs as smooth as silk when you have enough memory to run it.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Regular Contributor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: EE

Runs just fine on my 9300 3G. Installed 6 when I first got the phone in Apr 11.
PRIV/PlayBook 64GB/Bold 9790
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry OS6 - *Possible* solution

After messing around with this OS for too long, I tried turning off ALL search options, and it seems to have resolved the lagging and battery problems.

Under Options, Device, Search: uncheck every single box. Save and exit. Reboot

This search app most have some incredible bugs to cause this many problems, I wish I could unistall it.

I hope this works for others...