Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Pearl 8100 OS and application update

I just got my Blackberry Pearl 8100 and it has OS v4.2.0.71...I need/would like to have Microsoft To Go, so i can view my work files(excel, word), also would like to view videos(possibly different file formats) that i download, music(mp3's, etc), pics and things like that...where do i start with all of this because i have no idea what to do or how to do it...
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8310

Re: Blackberry Pearl 8100 OS and application update

You will need two different pieces of software you will need the Desktop Manager software, and the OS for that device, in your case the 8100. 

Once you have those downloaded install them and then open the Desktop Manager and select application loader. This will reload the OS onto your device.

Here is a link to the OS just select your carrier, but any carrier will work.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads 

If you select a carrier that is not yours just delete the vendor.xml file located here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader before opening Desktop Manager 

The Desktop Manager software can be located here for download.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

Let me know if you have any questions. 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry pearl 8100
My Carrier: Vodafone Essar Asia

i cant install browser on my blackberry 8100
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

can you be more specific, Ankit_gadhiya72?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8100
My Carrier: Telkomsel

i have my blackberry get restarted suddenly and after that only red light blink appear on light coverage indicator

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Was tring to upgrade the Pearl 8100 OS from 4.2 to 4.5 today. After the initial software download process, the system got hung, will not recognise the phone, and the  phone is dead except  red light on the phone that keeps blinking,  binks twice rapidly with a long pause and then repeats.  Tried battery pull etc....  The Device manager does not recognise this 8100 Pearl any more.....Any ideas???

Guru I

andhikalena123 wrote:

i have my blackberry get restarted suddenly and after that only red light blink appear on light coverage indicator

Hello,

I think you can try two things : the soft reboot, and if it does not work, the hard reboot. Don't worry, you can't lose data with these two reboots.

Soft reboot :
1) Hit the three following keys at the same time :
- Alt
- Right Shift
- Delete
2) wait 2 minutes for the Blackberry to wake up.

Hard reboot :
1) your Blackberry device is on
2) remove the battery and wait for a minute
3) Put the battery back
4) wait 5 minutes for the device to wake up.

Please tell us if it works for you.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I

broneyedleo wrote:

Was tring to upgrade the Pearl 8100 OS from 4.2 to 4.5 today. After the initial software download process, the system got hung, will not recognise the phone, and the  phone is dead except  red light on the phone that keeps blinking,  binks twice rapidly with a long pause and then repeats.  Tried battery pull etc....  The Device manager does not recognise this 8100 Pearl any more.....Any ideas???

I think that your device has lost its OS.

But I am confused : are you sure the "Device Manager" does not recognize the 8100 ? Are you not referring to the "Desktop Manager" ?

Anyway, if the battery pull did not fix the issue, I think you will have to rely on another software than the Desktop Manager to load an OS on your device again. You can check for the BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife). There are many discussions about it on the forum, you can use the search form on top of this page.

My Device: pearl 8100
My Carrier: MTN

is it possible to update with only the device manager and pearl 8100 OS without updating the desktop manager..??

Highlighted
Guru I

you cannot upgrade the OS using only the device manager.

You need the desktop manager (specifically the program named loader.exe) or the BBSAK.