Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Flip Pearl 8230
My Carrier: Telus

Blackberry Pearl 8230, Problems!!!

Hi there,

My blackberry Pearl Flip 8230 has had problems from the start, but now it barely functions.

At first the outside sound would stop ringing without any warning. I would set my alarm and it wouldn't go off and people would call and it would not ring even though it said that the volume was set to high. I even tried setting the volume to different levels and nothing worked. I tried taking out the battery and putting it back in as well. This started happening a month after I got the phone. Then, it would just sort of freeze up but that only seemed to happen occasionally. I also had problems opening certain things. I found that I would open it one time, and then all of a sudden the memory was like wiped. The background would go back to manufacturer settings and then a lot of the custom settings were set back to default. I also have problems with the back light. All of a sudden the backlight will dim making it hard to see the screen/pictures mainly. and when clicking I thought it would make the backlight go back on but it hasn't. I checked all the settings and everything, but nothing.

Now, my problem was last night we were at dinner and after dinner I was texting. Then soon later, the screen would freeze and I tried letting it sit but I realized that the time said 6:54 (approximately) and it was then 7:20something, which was quite a while to be frozen if it was just being slow. Then I took the battery out let it sit for a second and tried it again. It works for a couple of seconds but then all of a sudden after like 1 minute it will freeze. The red light has sometimes been coming on when it is frozen. It is so frustrating as I need it to be working, as I am 4 hours away at school.

Also, when I try to turn the phone back on after I replace the battery, it takes forever sometimes up to 10-15 minutes to turn back on. I keep getting the red light or simply nothing at all.

I have had the phone since August of '09. So I kind of wish that I had taken it in earlier, but I seemed to be able to deal with all of the other stuff, it is just that the freezing makes me unable to do anything at all really with it.

When I am making a phone call it seems to be okay, and even when it is frozen, if i click the back light will go on, so it seems to know that I am trying to use it!

I hope someone can help. My main issue is the freezing, I can't do anything when all it does is freeze. I can't really text, and if I do I have to be really quick so it sends before it freezes.

Ican't use the alarm either which is frustrating because my alarm clock is also very disfunctional.

Thank you,

Alana Smiley Happy

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Blackberry Pearl 8230, Problems!!!

Hi Alana3642,

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Try backing up and performing a clean reload of your device software. http://bit.ly/MpKMJ Test before restoring data, then do a custom restore from your backup file, making sure to restore essential data only such as contacts, calendar etc. http://bit.ly/a34QM7

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Flip Pearl 8230
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Blackberry Pearl 8230, Problems!!!

It has backed up phone contacts previously. But a thing keeps coming up on my screen saying backup list failed all of a sudden when I am using blackberry messenger. Not even necessarily when it is plugged into the computer. I have found that if I keep moving the ball around it will stay active but if I allow it to sit for about 10 seconds it freezes. I am going to try the restore in a day or so when I receive my new charger for my laptop. It overheated so I am waiting for it to come in the mail, technology is just failing for me lately!!!

I went into telus and asked what I can do and they basically just said well, you can pay such and such amount to get out of the contract. Then just buy a new phone. They didn't mention anything about repairs or anything of that sort. they didn't even look at the phone. So I thought if I am going to cancel my contract anyways then I may as well go with a new company. I went by virgin to see what they had to offer there, and they even looked at my phone and tried a few things to make it work. They were trying to fix someone's phone from another company. In terms of customer service I would definitely say that if I can't fix the phone I will be switching.

Thank you for your reesponse I will try that as soon as I can,

Alana