Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Pearl - Setting up e-mail accounts

Hi, I have recently earned a free Blackberry Pearl handset from my employers (lucky me).  I am having problems setting up e-mail accounts via BIS so my e-mails can be pushed to my Blackberry.

I have gone into the set-up wizard and clicked on email setup, but the only 2 options I am then given are:-

I want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server

I want to skip email set up

Having looked on the Blackberry website, I should have another option i.e. I want to create or add and email address.

I have also tried to do this on my laptop.  The problem I have here is that having chosen from the drop-down box, my internet service provider (mine is Orange), then inputting the pin No. and IMEI No. for my phone, it comes up with the following error message:-

This Blackberry is registered with a different service provider.  Please re-register this Blackberry and verify the URL matches the one provided by your service provider.

What am I doing wrong?

Can I confirm, when it is asking me to choose my service provider, that it is the internet service provider that I use for my internet connection i.e. Orange or is it asking for my mobile provider i.e. 02.  Although I did also try inputting 02 as being my service provider and got the same error message.

I have even tried inputting the service provider which my employer uses i.e Vodaphone.  Again, same message and also even tried my employer's name i.e BT as this is who I work for, but again, same message.

At the  moment, me thinks, I have not ended up getting a good thing i.e winning this handset from my employer if I only have access to the basic stuff i.e phone calls, camera, internet access via GPRS and wifi.

Hope someone can help.

Re: Blackberry Pearl - Setting up e-mail accounts

I had the exact same problem

after searching for awhile i finally just broke down and called AT&T, long story short, take the battery out and reboot.

It could be different for your service, but when mine was first started apprently it did not connect completely to the network, and required a reboot to connect fully, then it auto registered to the correct service for me.

Hope it is this easy for you, or you have already figured it out. 

Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

Hi Jacqueline1,

Is this is a Brand New Handheld you have been issued or this a used device from another employee that used it?

If this is a new device then I will assume that you have provisioned your account with your carrier with the BlackBerry Data plan, if this is not a work account, in which case they should do that request. When I have seen this error or similar it is required that the Provisioned sim be in the device and the device connects to the network first before creating the initial BIS Login Account.

If this is a used device that has been recycled, then it possible that the previous user has a BIS Account associated to the device. This would have to goto the carrier to have removed.

Contributor

Hi Ischliky, many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I had already tried taking the battery out and rebooting my blackberry, but it didn't resolve the problem.  I think what Gareth has said is probably what is causing the problem.

Thanks for your help anyway. It's much appreciated.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Gareth, many thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure if my blackberry is a used device.  I'm going to ask my boss tomorrow.

I suspect though that it probably is.  If this is the case, when you say "it will have to go the carrier to have the BIS Account removed", I'm not quite sure what you mean i.e. will I have to give it back to my boss to send back to where it came from, or do you mean something else?

Hope you can advise.

Jacqui

Message Edited by jacqueline1 on 05-15-2008 03:51 PM
Developer

Hi,

You should just be able to call the Carrier for this.

The call centre agents should be able to facilitate the deletion of the BIS Account so you can re-create a new one.

Also I will assume the device you have is from the same carrier you have your account with.

I am however unsure what the requirement will be for proof for the request.

They may need something like a Letterhead request from the company...

Perhaps just ask the Boss you the previous person was if he/she knows, you be lucky and get direct contact with the previous person, hopefully within the company you are with.

Another option is to go through help@blackberry.net and see if RIM Support can assist...usually though it may have to go via the carrier.

Contributor

Hi again Gareth

Sorry for the late reply to your last message.

I spoke to my boss and he said the bb was brand new and advised me to contact my service provider.  I am with 02.  I spoke to them and they have set me up with bis, but when I went onto the link they told me to go on,  where I "Create New Account", having entered my pin No. and IMEI No., I got the same message as before i.e. The bb is already registered with another service provider"

I'm completely confused now.  Is my boss unaware that the handset has been used before.?  Where do I go from here?

Any advice??

x Desperate bb owner

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

if it says the BB is registered with another carrier and you cannot create BIS account, in this scenario: if the BB has a BIS account with O2, then they can resolve this be disassociating the BIS account from ur BB's PIN and if BB is set up on different carrier, then O2 has to escalate this to RIM Support and they will disassociate your PIN from the BIS account in place.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Developer

Hi,

If you are with O2 (Mobile Account), is your BlackBerry an O2 device aswell? 

The error you are getting above is certainly relating to it being an already activated device.

Can you make calls with the Device? I want to ensure you have atleast made a connection to the network and that you are getting upper case Signal.

Gareth

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

yes it is probably a O2 device, and you can make phone calls, there should not be an issue, if you know another BB suer, you can compose a PIN message (go to message and compose PIN and enter therecipients OIN numbner) and if the recipient is able to receive PIN message, that means ur BB is provisioned for data service.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.