Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Blackberry Protect Issues

Running OS 6 on a Bold 9780 and everything is working fine except Blackberry Protect. The App runs ok and backs up without errors but when you try and contact the handset from the protect.blackberry.com website, you get the error "Unable to communicate with your device" most of the time. I say most of the time because if you start Protect app and then select the "Restart Blackberry Protect" menu option, the message (or sound) you have requested earlier comes through.

I have just updated to the latest official Vodafone UK o/s (706) and no change. Seems to be a OS 6 and/or 9780 thing: we have two other BB's in the house (8900 and 9810) and Protect works fine on these (same network)

If useful, here's some of the Support Information from Protect:

Client App Version: 1.1.1.76-p
OS Apps Version: 6.0.0.706
Preloaded: false

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Protect Issues

Hi and Welcome to the Community...and apologies for the delayed reply!!

It is possible that the Service Books on this BB are corrupt...I therefore suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I went through all the obvious things: Battery Pulls, Service Books, etc. I even updated the O/S to the latest version in case it was an App version problem. In the end, I did resolve the problem and the answer is that Protect has a problem transitioning from Wifi to Radio networks. We have 3 BB's in the house and 2 had the problem and one did not. All three were different models with OS versions 5, 6 and 7. The one that Protect worked on only used Radio, the two where it failed used Wifi when at home and Radio when out & about. As soon, as I disabled Wifi on these two handset, Protect worked fine.

This was consistent with the observation that Protect started working once you restarted the App since it would then set-up a new network connection

It was nice to have Wifi switcing on & off when at home but having Protect working is more important so we now just enable Wifi when needed and then turn it off again

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Ah OK...sorry about providing the redundant advice...since you did not originally say, I had no way to know that you'd already done those. Further, you said you did the "obvious things", but the steps I provided are indeed steps, intended to be conducted in their specific order, awaiting success of each step before proceeding to the next. From what you say, I have no way to know if you did that in exactly that manner or not. But, such is moot anyway.

Protect really should not have such difficulties. What I suspect is happening is that somehow your WiFi/firewall/ISP may somehow be blocking something that the BB requires for Protect to properly function. But, since WiFi works for other purposes, the BB itself will not shift back to the carrier data network just for one app, and that leaves Protect non-functional. It would be interesting for you to test this out by having WiFi on and testing out other RIM-provided apps to see if they as well are impacted at all...likewise, 3rd party apps to see if they do not have any impact while running via WiFi.

In any event, if you wish to continue with the cumbersome workaround that you have determined, that's fine as well. As with all technology items, we just need to understand the means and methods to get them to do what we desire...then we humans are quite adept at adapting to those parameters and feeling OK with the functionality that we achieve.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

All the other apps work fine on WiFi, it is only Protect has seems to have the problem handlng the transition. I am sure it is a Protect App bug because if you send the handset a message when using WiFi, nothing happens. Only when you restart Protect, does the message then appear. 

I am using SmartWiFi to handle the WiFi connection i.e. turn it off when leaving Home network range but I cannot see how this could affect Protect.

Do you use Protect and if you do, does it still work ok when you have WiFI enabled?

Hall of Famer III

ianch99 wrote:

I am sure it is a Protect App bug because if you send the handset a message when using WiFi, nothing happens. Only when you restart Protect, does the message then appear. 

Sorry...to be clear...this is a message sent via the BB Protect website to the BB, via the BB Protect app itself? (This would be as opposed to an email sent, a BBM sent, etc.)

ianch99 wrote:

I am using SmartWiFi to handle the WiFi connection i.e. turn it off when leaving Home network range but I cannot see how this could affect Protect.

I agree...it should not have an affect. BB Protect follows the pathway that BIS is using, and BIS is designed to shift between WiFi and carrier data network depending on what is available. It can take a few moments for BIS to fully shift over, but since you say no other BIS-dependent services are affected, I can't see how the shift itself is causing this affect to Protect.

However, another test to conduct would be to boot up into Safe Mode and see if the issue remains:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. It is possible that some 3rd party apps are causing some impact, and Safe Mode will prevent them from launching, and perhaps provide you with the ability to at least rule that in or out.

You should also fully research the most recent OS levels available for your devices...the on-device OS update capability limits you to only those OS's released by your specific carrier...but you are not limited to those. You can research other carriers OS levels here:

Unfortunately, that official site is sorted first by carrier, so you will have to spend some time digging to figure out which carriers support your model BBs, and then see what OS levels they have. If you find an OS package that you desire to use from another carrier and you don't already have/know the necessary steps to take in order to use it on your BB, then just ask and we can provide you with the proper instructions.

ianch99 wrote:

Do you use Protect and if you do, does it still work ok when you have WiFI enabled?

Yes...and I see no impacts when shifting between carrier data network and WiFi. However, I do have my Protect set to only conduct backups via WiFi (so as to preserve my carrier data network consumption).

Sorry that I can't offer more...but those are all that I can think of. The only next step I can determine is for you to seek formal support, which would start with your mobile service provider, who can escalate your case into RIM for enhanced support if that is so required.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Right, this is a msg sent from the Protect web site to the handset which only appears when you restart the (handset) Protect app. 

I have updated to the latest Vodafone UK o/s version (Bold 9780) and have posted on their support forums where they said contact Blackberry which is why I am here :-)

I could try Safe mode but if it works it still doesn't help me using the phone in normal mode. It is fustrating how difficult it is to get support on the Blackberry services, services we pay for each month.

This whole thing is a time waster and so be honest I have spent enough time on it. I will just leave WiFi off unless I need it (for updates, etc.) and use 3G Radio as the default network ..

Many thanks for the good advice though ..

Hall of Famer III

ianch99 wrote:

I have updated to the latest Vodafone UK o/s version (Bold 9780) and have posted on their support forums where they said contact Blackberry which is why I am here :-)

Only one small problem with that (what I highlighted above)...this site has nothing to do with any formal support nor discussions directly with RIM. Rather, this is a user-to-user community of volunteers. Formal support is solely available via your formal support channels, which normally start with your mobile service provider, who can escalate cases into RIM that they cannot handle. Whoever said to use our forums here as a channel for formal communication with RIM was mistaken.

The other small problem is that perhaps the version your carrier supports has this issue...and another carrier may well have a newer OS that does not have this issue.

ianch99 wrote:

I could try Safe mode but if it works it still doesn't help me using the phone in normal mode.

You misunderstood me. I did not mean to suggest you use Safe Mode as a normal operating condition. Rather, I recommend it as a means to try and rule in/out 3rd party apps as being causal to your situation.

ianch99 wrote:

It is fustrating how difficult it is to get support on the Blackberry services, services we pay for each month.

Refer to what I said above about how formal support actually works. Everyone entered into a contract when you bought your device and subscribed to services. All parties (RIM, the carriers, and even you) are bound to that contract. I always find that knowing how a thing is supposed to work reduces my frustration, especially if I discover that I've been attempting to make it do something it's not supposed to do.

ianch99 wrote:

This whole thing is a time waster and so be honest I have spent enough time on it. I will just leave WiFi off unless I need it (for updates, etc.) and use 3G Radio as the default network ..

No problem...all I intend to provide is information and advice...the final decision rests with you.

ianch99 wrote:

Many thanks for the good advice though ..

You are most welcome.