Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: smart telecom

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone--INVASION OF PRIVACY?

[ Edited ]

Please email to <removed>     ---- if possible..

EDIT: Personal Information such as e-mail is prohibited for your security. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be careful."

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]

rockstarpig1 wrote:

Hi, I am new to blackberry and I have noticed Blackberry Protect feature installed on my BB 9700. I was given this phone and I have been told that the "protect" feature is used to track me down. I think that is quite unfair and should not be and I was wondering how I can disable this feature. Moreso, I was told that it saves data, can my text messages be traced and read/saved for other people to read it if found access to it? If so, how do I disable this feature and live a normal private life? I would like to be normal without the feeling of somebody watching 24/7.....

Pls help...

Hello rockstarpig1,

I understand that you are concerned about your privacy and I wish more people would care as much as you do. But there are a lot of wrong information in your post. Please let me explain one point at a time.

First, why are you concerned ?

Research in Motion is a company that sells smartphones and tablets (and accessories). Unlike companies like Google or Facebook or Microsoft, RIM does not focus on your data at all, they only focus on your money Smiley Happy

Second why was BlackBerry Protect created ?

Before BlackBerry Protect existed, when you lost your phone or had it broken, and if you did not do frequent backups of the content of your device, you would lose everything : the device, the emails, the SMS, the addressbook. I personally know it is real hell on earth when this happens.

So RIM decided to provide BlackBerry users with a tool that would help in that kind of situation : BlackBerry Protect is a tool to help you.

How does it work?

This tool is something you have to install on your device, and that you need to explicitly activate. If you do not want one or several of its features, you can select exactly what you want, and you can entirely delete the application too. If you want to know more about the features of BlackBerry Protect, just read this article about it :

"5 Reasons Why You Should Use BlackBerry Protect"

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/09/blackberry-protect/

Now, if you want to configure it the way you want, I think the fastest is to read this other article :

"BlackBerry Protect Getting Started Guide"

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/03/blackberry-protect-guide/

it is a step-by-step with screenshots, you can't do anything wrong.

Tell me if your concerns are all addressed, and feel free to ask if you still have questions, rockstarpig1.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

For everyone's information, ALL of the following must be present in order for Protect to locate your phone:

1 - Your phone must be turned ON.

2 - BlackBerry Protect must still be installed.

3 - YOUR SIM card must be inserted.

4 - Your phone must be connected to a cellular network.

5 - You must have the locate feature checked when you first activate Protect.  That's where it says something like "I wish to have this phone's location viewable on the Protect website" (or something to that effect).

If any one of these criteria are not met, your phone is not locatable.

I hope this helps everyone.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: smart telecom

Thanks, although I just saw something new on my blackberry 9700, in the setting I think pertaining to Research In Motion saying:

"personally identify you and location of your device. May be sent to Research in Motion Ltd or its affiliated companies. "RIM" to help improve application performance and design, in accordance with RIM's privacy policy available."

Does this mean Im being tracked through RIM? More importantly, how do I disable this feature?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you can read RIM's privacy policy if you are concerned about it.

if you want to disable this feature, just log in BlackBerry Protect and uncheck that option. Or delete entirely that application.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: thabo

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone

Just don't back up ur phone