Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone

I'm using a BB Tour 9650 with 6.0. I recently installed Blackberry Protect however as of right now it appears to be unable to locate my phone through the website. The service appeared to work great last night with the exception that it was unable to locate my phone via GPS though I have the Checkbox checked to locate phone via website for BB Protect. Today while trying to test it and get it working I am finding that I am not able to send the commands to it, send ringtone, send lock, etc unless I restart the application on my phone then everything sends. Any ideas?
Regular Contributor

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone

OK. The Display Message and Loud Ring option seem to be working now....still unable to locate my phone.

There is a GPS option in the phone, current set to E911 Only.....but since programs like Google Maps, etc work, does this option matter for BB Protect?

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9520
My Carrier: T-Com Croatia

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone if some criminal change SIM card? Still working? No way.

I install Protect and everything work fine. But this software is usefull only when you forget where you put your phone and to transfer data. For transfering data we all know so good Nokia Suite and BB Desktop software...untill now working just until 5.0 all updates 6.0 wont start... Shame from RIM to not fix this BUG.

And the last point what I wont to write is that if your BB was stolen you can forget to find it with this software...Its work just with YOUR SIM card. 99% of criminals will pull out your SIM in few minutes out especially if they know for protect applicacation and put a new one. In this case I try and my BB was unreacheable. This mean even if you are very fast to get somewhere PC or going to net to block your BB or locate yo must be lucky to find it back.

Is this correct or Im in wrong? Thanks.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone if some criminal change SIM card? Still working? No way.

@hongkong33
at some point the criminal will put a SIM card that has a BlackBerry Plan. Which will enable BlackBerry Protect to work and pinpoint your device.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

I have this working now as my GPS was set to 911 Only and now is set to on. (or enable).

It was why I was unable to locate the phone.

Guru I

hello slingshot202,

thank you for your feedback. Can you please explain what you mean by "my GPS was set to 911 only" ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Fido

Fair enough - what if blackberry protect was uninstalled from the device after it was stolen? Would I still be able to access it online?
Guru I

No.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: smart telecom

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone

Hi, I am new to blackberry and I have noticed Blackberry Protect feature installed on my BB 9700. I was given this phone and I have been told that the "protect" feature is used to track me down. I think that is quite unfair and should not be and I was wondering how I can disable this feature. Moreso, I was told that it saves data, can my text messages be traced and read/saved for other people to read it if found access to it? If so, how do I disable this feature and live a normal private life?

Pls help...

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: smart telecom

Re: Blackberry Protect - Locating Phone--INVASION OF PRIVACY?

Hi, I am new to blackberry and I have noticed Blackberry Protect feature installed on my BB 9700. I was given this phone and I have been told that the "protect" feature is used to track me down. I think that is quite unfair and should not be and I was wondering how I can disable this feature. Moreso, I was told that it saves data, can my text messages be traced and read/saved for other people to read it if found access to it? If so, how do I disable this feature and live a normal private life? I would like to be normal without the feeling of somebody watching 24/7.....

Pls help...