Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: wind

Blackberry Protect erased my backups

I had to reinstall the software on my blackberry Curve 8520 because I was having problems with my address book (all my contacts had been erased) and i kept getting this uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerException warning. So i came on the forum found some advice that said re-install.

So i re-installed the software I backed-up the data on my desktop & blackberry protect. It all went well. But when i wanted to restore contacts i had lost a few days ago I found that my blackberry protect back-ups had also been wiped. The only back-ups that were present were from when I first got my phone and from today.

What has happened to all my back-ups? Can i even get them back? What the heck is the point of blackberry protect if it is just going wipe everything clean?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Protect erased my backups

Hello,

Please make sure you've updated the Protect app on your device to the most recent version. Given what you went through, it's possible that you reloaded an OS level that has a prior Protect version. AppWorld should update it for you.

If it's updated yet still can find no other backups, then they may well indeed be gone...it sounds odd what you report, but anything is possible. And anytime anyone has previously asked about getting BlackBerry to restore any backups to their Protect account, the answer has always been "not possible".

Also, when going through such problems, please don't depend on Protect for your restore source. Indeed, don't depend on any single source. Rather, use both Protect as well as the Desktop Software, and when going though things like this, I'd personally prefer my Desktop Software backup over anything Protect might have. But that's just me...overly paranoid and all that.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................