Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Digicel

Blackberry Protect not seeing recent backups

[ Edited ]

BB9790 running BBOS 7.1.

I use Blackberry Protect, set to back up daily over cellular internet; I have an active internet/ BB plan.

In addition, I back up manually, using Blackberry Protect, whenever I enter important contact and/ or memo data, which is at least once a week- I use my Blackberry for important logging of work incidents.

I do not use desktop backup, since it has proved unreliable and crash-prone.

A few hours ago, WhatsApp crashed, and it seems to have corrupted/ erased my entire contact database.

I was not perturbed, given how often I back up my important data.

When I enter Blackberry Protect, the opening screen confirms that my last backup was hours ago; but when I click on "restore from backup", the "last backup" date changes to May 14, two months ago.

New backups aren't registering on BB protect, even though the progress meter claims that the backup finishes without incident.

I am hoping to avoid losing two months of crucial work data.

How should I proceed?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, Z30

Re: Blackberry Protect not seeing recent backups

Sorry to report but BlackBerry Protect only backs up core data. It doesn't back up any third party app data. I believe that a backup in Desktop Manager would backup WhatsApp data but the best would be if there was an option to backup within WhatsApp. I can't say that the option exists within WhatsApp or not as I don't use it at but a lot of third party apps do have backup options inside the options or settings.
Twitter: @sheldonbk
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, Z30

That said, last time I checked WhatsApp, all the contacts were automatically picked up and setup as soon as I entered my phone number and it searched my BlackBerry's contact list.

The contact list would definitely be backed up by BlackBerry Protect. Just go into BlackBerry Protect and say that you want to restore. If it won't restore the most recent backup, just go back to the backup previous to it. Since you don't have an issue with data - would be using the setting to backup daily using both Protect and Desktop Manager.

I Hope that you find these comments helpful. Smiley Happy

Sheldon
Twitter: @sheldonbk
New Contributor

Hi, Sheldon, thanks for your answer.

I don't need any non-core data, and What's App data is not the problem.

What's App corrupted all the data from my core Contacts app.

All of my contacts are gone.

I don't have any recent backups to restore from, because no recent backups are visible in Blackberry Protect.

Blackberry Protect isn't working properly. Recent backups aren't showing up there.

New Contributor

My Desktop Manager hangs up and crashes all the time. It has not ever worked consistently over my time as a Blackberry user.

And now Blackberry Protect isn't working either!