Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: 0979552874

Blackberry Service problems Internationally (Taiwan)

Hi,

I just moved to Taiwan from Canada. I previously had a plan with Telus and now I am on a pre-paid card here in Asia with the service provider Taiwan Mobile. Obviously there was a language barrier while I was activating my SIM card, so I wasn't able to get as much information from them as I wanted.

From what I gathered, I was told that since I have a blackberry and not an iPhone or Samsung I will have the following issues no matter which provider I go to (I've been to two already) : 

-My "pushmail" won't work. None of the icons on my blackberry will open. If I want to go on facebook, email, etc., I have to go into my browser and manually sign in each time which means I am not notified when I receive something.

-My BBM will open but will NOT send or receive messages. So essentially it doesn't work.

-My Blackberry World app does not open either, so I can't download apps.

I have all these problems whether I'm connected to Wi-Fi or not. Can anyone give me ANY insight into this? Is my blackberry pretty much useless in Taiwan? My phone is unlocked and able to text, call and use KIK messenger which THANKFULLY I downloaded before I left! But if there is anyway to fix any of these problems I'd really appreciate it! 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Service problems Internationally (Taiwan)

HI and Welcome to the Community!

The issue is access to BIS...BIS must be provided to your device by your carrier in order to enable the services you discussed (this holds true regardless of if you use these services via the carrier data network or via WiFi...via either path, you still must receive service from BIS to do these things). If your carrier does not provide BIS at all, then there is nothing to do -- other than seek a different carrier, one who does provide BIS.

But, that's not the end of it. Even if a carrier provides BIS, their network will only provide it for the exact BB models that they support. So, if your carrier provides BIS but does not support your 9360, then you cannot obtain BIS from their network onto your 9360. Your only option there is to obtain a device model that their network does fully support.

I use this link as a general reference of carriers and the specific BB models that they support:

I do say "general reference" though...I have had reports from others that they can obtain BIS from carriers not listed on that site. To deal with your situation, you will probably need to find someone who can provide you with language translation in order to properly discuss your situation with the carriers.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: 0979552874

Hi,

Thank you so much. That really (in plain English) put into perspective my problem here. I've concluded that that probably is the issue - no connection to BIS. They seem to support Blackberry z10 here but no other models. I guess I'll just have to get myself another phone at some point, which is unfortunate because I was  trying to avoid that.

Thanks again!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are welcome...but...

BB10 is completely different from legacy BBs. BB10 does not use BIS, so the direct support by the carrier does not apply. Rather, the radio frequencies/technologies that each device uses is what applies, and BB10 devices use a generic non-BIS data plan. For example, there are multiple sub-models of Z10, each supporting different frequencies...you have to have a BB10 model that supports the same frequencies as the carrier you wish to operate on, but the BIS-support concern does not apply with BB10.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................