Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

Blackberry Storm Questions - To Many To Put In Subject

I have had my storm for a while now and I have only had the typical problems but I am now seeing some more issues with the device.

1. Can the BB email client sync all old emails on whatever account you set up? The only other smartphone did this and did it perfectly so I just assumed that the BB could as well.
  2.  I am getting an error saying "Contact is synced externally..." Is this just because I synced my device with the leaked BBDM Mac Beta? If so, I realize that is a risk I took.
  3. Over the day my music library slowly dwindles down and I will go from about 1800 songs to around 800 songs. I was told to do a battery pull and that would fix everything. To me that seemed more like a band aid and not a fix... Any ideas?
  4. My device will randomly throw the error that "Country (or region, can't remember) code not recognized." and I have to manually select "1" as I am in the US.
  5. The screen has gone from the acceptable amount of un-responsiveness to being a complete pain with every click.
I am considering swapping the device and getting a newer one but I am somewhat worried about not syncing all of my old emails on the device. Any ideas on what to do? For the most part I feel that the Storm is a quality device but these errors always seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance to anyone who responds. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Storm Questions - To Many To Put In Subject

Hi and welcome to the Forums!

One at a time:

reesereimers wrote:
  1. Can the BB email client sync all old emails on whatever account you set up? The only other smartphone did this and did it perfectly so I just assumed that the BB could as well

No...the BB method is to bring new emails from the moment of activation.

reesereimers wrote:
 I am getting an error saying "Contact is synced externally..." Is this just because I synced my device with the leaked BBDM Mac Beta? If so, I realize that is a risk I took.

You will have to explain more...what contact item? In BBM or Contacts?

reesereimers wrote:
Over the day my music library slowly dwindles down and I will go from about 1800 songs to around 800 songs. I was told to do a battery pull and that would fix everything. To me that seemed more like a band aid and not a fix... Any ideas?

Nope...Batt Pulls are equivalent to rebooting a PC...healthy. Unless your device OS is not up to date...check here:

reesereimers wrote:
My device will randomly throw the error that "Country (or region, can't remember) code not recognized." and I have to manually select "1" as I am in the US.

Under what conditions does it throw that error? What, exactly, hapens just before the error?

reesereimers wrote:
The screen has gone from the acceptable amount of un-responsiveness to being a complete pain with every click.

Anytime random strange behaviors creep in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

reesereimers wrote:

I am considering swapping the device and getting a newer one but I am somewhat worried about not syncing all of my old emails on the device. Any ideas on what to do? For the most part I feel that the Storm is a quality device but these errors always seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance to anyone who responds. 

If you use the desktop software to perform a complete backup, it will include whatever emails are presently in the device database...and then you can restore those to a new device.

Let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

Thanks for the response.

In regards to the contact sync, I am using the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac beta. I synced everything fine but now it shows the error that contacts are managed externally so I cannot change them on my device. I don't know if this is just an error with the beta and if so I totally understand. I just took the risk because I was having so many issues with the device and I wanted to clear everything off and start from scratch.

I did a backup before I did anything to my device and the file it saved the backup as is a .bbb file. Is this compatible with the Windows version of DM? If so I may just go to a VZW store and see if they can load the backup file for me as I do not have access to a windows machine. I tried doing a restore of my device using the Desktop Manager for Mac sotware and everything seemed to work perfectly....until I started getting calls or emails. My emails would not register under the icon for the account but instead in the generalized "messages" icon. I deleted my e-mail accounts and set up new ones and now they work but the old messages are still in the main messages icon. I also have photos set for my contacts and whenever I call someone or whenever someone calls me these photos do not show up on the device.

The error for "Country Code" happens at random. I haven't found any consistency in regards to a specific contact or area...just random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I have zero clue about integrating to a MAC. Sorry. But, we have an entire section of these forums dedicated to exactly that:

You are more likely to find MAC help there, I'm thinking.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................