Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Storm - The worst touch phone ever???

My girlfriend has had the Blackberry Storm since November/December 2008 on the Vodafone UK Network.

Within a week we were back in the shop because the phone was draining of it's battery within hours.  The assistant informed her that she needed to fully shut down all the applications which will sort that problem out.  It didn't.  I searched around and found people saying that to sort it out she should turn down the brightness and switch 3g off and leave it on 2g.  Crazy.  the phone is supposed to be 3G so why should it need to be switched off and left on 2G just to make it through a day??

over the period of time she has had it she and I get more and more frustrated with it.  It crashes every week or so and will not get past a switch on screen for hours and then just log it's self on.  you get a tiny reset button appear in the middle of the screen which you cannot click on because it's so small.

The phone will freeze in one aspect and not flip around resulting in a need to remove the battery and start all over again.

The boot up time from the moment it is switched on to the time you can use it is as fast as an old Commadore Amiga 2000 computer requiring 15 start up floppy disks... in fact the Amiga was probably faster.

We took the phone back to Vodafone who sent it off to be repaired.  They changed an internal component to correct the screen flipping fault and they did an OS upgrade.  this "upgrade" has screwed the phone to the point that she now just wants to take a hammer to it.

It removed the ability to use predictive in portrait "multi-tap", something i have read was a bug and shouldn't have been in there......WHAT.. the most simple way to type on a phone was a BUG?????? are they crazy at RIM?

The phone now, when you "lock it" becomes active agian by clicking on any of the 4 keys at the bottom... I understand that RIM are looking ofr a fix to this problem...er...how about just back up on the bit of code where it says..."when screen is locked allow it to be unlocked by clicking on any key"... it had to be written into the upgrade so take it out FFS...

She can no longer receive emails despite having to re-set up the email account... it just doesn't work.  brilliant... the one thing that Blackberry is supposed to be good at and it fails.

The phone is terrible at registering which thing you are clicking on.. you think you have highlighted what you want and when you click it chooses something else.

The desktop software is useless.. it keeps on saying that upgrades to software on her laptop are needed and when the updates was made it still insisted that the update which had been installed needed to be installed.  this means data transfer of media files from her laptop to her phone are so complicated it left me screaming at the phone and ready to throw it at the wall.

the screen is loose.. it moves around in the main structure of the phone

while in use, the phone get's very hot.

when trying to pick up an incomming call it will not allow her to click on the "answer" button displayed on the phone

more often than not calls are pointless because she get's nothing but either loud crackling in her ear or a high pitch squeeling noise.

the camera on it is just useless.  it takes the photo about 3 seconds after you have clicked the button and often returns either a black photo or a white photo.  the image quality is very poor.

with regard to the phone locking issue i read that there is a "workaround" to putting a password protect on the phone so that everytime it unlocks you have to put in a password... quite frankly i cannot believe that people are accepting this as an answer.  it's disgusting that system upgrades are not FULLY tested before being put out for people to upgrade to...

I also want to see the predictive in multitap put back in.  this is NOT a BUG it was a fine feature of the phone and a standard expectation of any phone.

Quite frankly QWERTY keyboards are not appropriate on such a small platform as a touch phone.  they take up too much of the visible screen and are more often than not inaccurate in their character selection. 

I read a lot of people saying how fantastic the phone is.. i can't believe a single word of what they write.  there is nothing good about this phone at all.  My girlfriend is distressed that she is tied into an 18month contract for a phone which she detests.  it's been such a let down since we did a lot of research before making the descision to get this phone.

I await the RIM paid members of this forum to come on and say the usual...

"this phone obviously does not suit your needs"

"this phone is the best smartphone out there"

"it's better than the iPhone"

"try the FAQ's for Workarounds"

We are REAL users of this phone and we have REAL issues with it's ability to function as it is advertised to function.

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Re: Blackberry Storm - The worst touch phone ever???

javelin, so sorry to here that you are having such problems with your storm. 

There are things here that can be done to help you and if your phone is that uncooperative, you are still under warranty.  I can tell you from my Storm experience, I love it. I love the touch screen - the surepress to landscape - I have had a little adjustin to do and upgrading the OS, but it is doing wonderfully.  

This forum with suggestions from the experts - has helped me to make a good phone - great! 

Again, I hate that you are so unhappy with your phone -   

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

javelin, you already have predicted the answers, and set very low expectations.

There is no need for response from "paid" or volunteers users around here. I think there would be no good to come of it, as it is obvious you are displeased and should have returned the device quite a long time ago.

Good luck. Find your friend a device you like.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

it's not just me though is it. when i trawl the internet i find so many people complaining about this phone.  when we last went into Vodafone they confirmed that this phone was not as good as it was promoted to be and that they had been having loads brought back because of faults and loads of people just giving up all together with the phone, exchanging for something else.

I am amazed that there are people out there who write such glowing reviews about this phone, which is why i just feel that they must be paid/volunteers of Blackberry or the network on which this phone is sold.

when doing a google search for "problems with the blackberry storm" i get over 25million hits......

1.14million hits for "blackberry storm worst phone ever"

surely that's not a lot of people who are making up stories regarding the poor quality of this phone

javelinsam wrote:

it's not just me though is it. when i trawl the internet i find so many people complaining about this phone.  when we last went into Vodafone they confirmed that this phone was not as good as it was promoted to be and that they had been having loads brought back because of faults and loads of people just giving up all together with the phone, exchanging for something else.

I am amazed that there are people out there who write such glowing reviews about this phone, which is why i just feel that they must be paid/volunteers of Blackberry or the network on which this phone is sold.

when doing a google search for "problems with the blackberry storm" i get over 25million hits......

1.14million hits for "blackberry storm worst phone ever"

surely that's not a lot of people who are making up stories regarding the poor quality of this phone

sam, let's not be absurd now...

I just did a google search of the text "problems with iphones" and got this result:

Results 1 - 10 of about 106,000,000 for problems with iphones. (0.24 seconds)

over one hundred million hits. Smiley Sad

Oh, and google search "iphone worst phone ever", I get this result:

Results 1 - 10 of about 27,000,000 for iphone worst phone ever (0.25 seconds)

Wow.

So, I am thinking we shouldn't rely on google search results for debate fodder. It makes us look silly, as neither manufacturer has even sold that many devices.

Seriously now, do you have questions or are you looking for help? Note the name of this website is "BlackBerry Support Community Forums". We are here to support, as a community. 

If you only had a rant to make, you've been provided an outlet for that and it is done.

Otherwise, let's get on with the "support" part!  Smiley Happy

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

considering the iphone was released 18months before the Storm i think that isn't really a lot of returns from a google search in comparison plus the iphone comes in a few different models compared to the One BB storm... the stats speak for themselves.

the problem i have with this forum is it's all about work arounds rather than everyone clubbing together and saying to RIM...look this really isn't right and you have to do something about it.

[ Edited ]

Then you should properly request of the admins of this site for that section to be created for your "club".

I didn't think you really wanted support or assistance.

Message Edited by JSanders on 06-08-2009 10:18 AM

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Developer

I wonder if you ever read the mauel of the phone. It says "this phone is not for blonds". Smiley Happy 
Trusted Contributor

i would just like to say all phone companys give you 30 days to return the phone

if you cant figure out in 30 days you dont like a  phone then you  shouldnt have one

i use my phone for business and personal use and for what the phone does is great. can you find a lap top computer to last 6, 7 or even 8 hrs without being charged give me a break its the smallest computer you can get

stop whinny and get a regular phone then

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am with Vodafone UK and have had Storm 9500 for about the same time as your girlfriend.

I have had a few problems, but most solved now.

A number of the problems were caused by the latest official Vodafone/ Blackberry  operating software upgrade which had a few bugs in it.

I then solved this by reading reports at crackberry.com forum and downloaded a new unofficial software upgrade ( I think version 151) . This worked on my Storm, but not yet approved by Vodafone UK -so my Blackberry Storm may not be  currently covered by their warranty.

I am now very happy with my Storm -it does everything that is required of it by me.Battery needs recharging quite often but that is no problem for me, and I always carry a recharged spare battery.

I think you will find the Blackberry problems your gorlfriend has, are only temporary ones

If you need to contact me - please feel free to contact me

Good luck

Alfred

Message Edited by Alfred on 06-08-2009 11:34 PM