Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Totch 9800
My Carrier: MTN

Blackberry Torch 9800

I have a few questions with regards to my 9800 Torch

1. How do I use the desktop software to connect to the internet using my Torch?  My service provider MTN South Africa is not listed?

2.Why can't I get the blackberry playbook from my Service Provider? Only Available at Vodacom and Telkom Business. 3.Because of the playbook not being available from my service provider I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000. Is there a way to connect my Galaxy Tab to my Torch the same way I would connect the Blackberry Playbook to my torch using the Blackberry Bridge software?

4. Why does my Device switch from 3G to edge, I Have checked the coverage Map and there is HSPA coverage in my area?  It Shows 3G but as soon as I open an application which uses the internet like the internet browser or app world or even BBM. Then it switches to edge and sometimes GPRS. Any reason why and how to keep it on 3G?  Manually selecting 3G also does not help.  The BB icon showing next to the signal meter also disappears occasionally.

Would appreciate any help on all the questions above.

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Torch 9800

1. You mean to use your Torch modem to give internet access to your PC?  Article ID: KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

2. Some dealers do not sell the PlayBook.

3. No. The Tab does not have the ability to Bridge.

4. You're losing access to the BlackBerry Internet Service. First thing I'd suggest is to get a SIM swap for a brand new SIM card. There are many versions of SIM cards and if yours is older, it could be a factor.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code