Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8800
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Torch 9860 Problems

I have the Torch 9860

I purchased it a few months ago. I haven't been happy with the speed or smoothness of my phone. There are many times when it is working great and I am pleased with it, but there are also a lot of times when I am very displeased with it.

It will go through periods where it freezes for 10 seconds at a time, and also times when it won't unlock for about 10-20 seconds at a time. I will hit the unlock button and nothing happens until about 10-20 seconds a later and my phone will often fly through everything trying to catch up and end up opening random apps or icons that I didn't want to open. Every night and often throughout the day I will check if unused apps are closed, e-mails & messages, as well as internet history is all deleted in hopes of it running smoother/faster. I also use the Auto on/off feature nightly.

I looked all over for an e-mail to contact Blackberry regarding this inquiry but I couldn't find a signle place to contact throughout the site other than here...

Is there anything else I can do to improve this? In the ad it explains how fast and smooth this phone is, but I have been let down too much.

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Torch 9860 Problems

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

What OS are you on? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

I have seen some apps cause the phone to slow down at times

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist, possibly making it slow up first use.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the help I will definitely try some of those.

As for the media card part, does that mean I cant really use my Blackberry for music n such? I have like 10 songs on there now but I have considered buying a bigger media card so I can put more music on it since it would be very practical, although if thats going to slow my phone down it definitely wouldnt be practical. It's too bad it sounds like the only way your phone can run well is by not using a lot of the features it claims to have. Would be nice to be able to use it for an mp3 player.

Thanks again for your input. Not trying to argue with anything you said just bringing up more points as you seemed to be helpful.

As far as I know I am on the original OS 7 as my carrier has yet to come out with any software updates.

My phone is currently being sent away for another problem, which has been a whole other frustrating issue, so I am trying to figure out solutions for other problems in the mean time.

Thanks again.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

only upon first insert of the media card will it be slow to make the indexes and thumbnails of pics. After that it will not slow it down. I have over 1500 songs on mine with out issue and over 3000 pics.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Oh really?! Well as long as it doesnt slow down my phone other than on insert thats nice to know. I do like the phone for the big screen as well as photo quality so it would be nice ot pack a lot of pictures on it. Wish they were a little faster with getting it back since I won't have it for my spring break trip.

Thanks for the help, I will try all of these things soon as its back.

Guru III
My Device:

kewl, let us know how you progress and enjoy your trip

Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch 9860
My Carrier: tigo paraguay

I have an BB9860 with the same problem, it usually freezes to long. i dont have too much apps installed (too bad cause all the performance) i have a lot of musics and photos but in my 8GB HC SD (like 60% of ussage) i think its an OS problem i have the OS7 bundle 2395 on my device.

How can i really solve this?

I have trying uninstall apps, but it always the same

Would you guys launch an OS7 with more Space for apps?

i mean, the phone has 700MB of RAM 4g internal and only 300MB for apps?? commoon!!!

Guru III
My Device:

How much free memory do you have?

When mine runs down to 30 meg it will be slow.

A battry pull will fix this issue and reclaim the space.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Have just got one of these devices, but have a problem. Some applications appear in a tiny window because the virtual keyboard has appeared at the bottom, however I am unable to swipe the keyboard down or get rid of it. Is there any way to disable the virtual keyboard, or maximise a window to full screen or something ? It's driving me potty.