Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Torch Buttons Stop Working

On my second Torch in 3 weeks.  Got a replacement a week ago and it has frozen twice with the buttons not working.  Haven't even used a case, so it is not case related.

I like the Torch, but having to pull the battery and wait for a reboot is beyond inconvenient when you need to use the stupid phone.

I am considering taking this back for a Windows phone.

BTW, I have it upgraded to the latest software.  That is the first thing I did.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch

In general to what has been stated on this message;

I recently bought the torch from at&t.com I ordered it Thursday Dec 17th and received it yesterday monday dec 20th. brand new device and a half hour into using it the camera flashed up while I was in the middle of a text message and started taking pictures. I exited out and it kept doing it it seemed everytime I pressed the 't' 'm' 'n' 'a' or space bar. i took the battery out and let it sit and then after putting it back in, and it rebooting (after a proper shut down) none of the keys would work! the slide out keyboard, or the top row of keys under the touch screen. The touch screen did work, however. so for now I can accept calls, and text (because holding my finger down on the touch screen allows me to pull up a full menu so I can exit and the touch keyboard on the touch screen helps) but this is a serious issue! It was only used for a HALF HOUR! This is my third blackberry in 2 years, and I am completely baffled.

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I'm sad after reading all of these issues.. I too am having the same problems. Got my torch yesterday, worked perfect until today when all of a sudden the keys stopped working, and upon a battery pull, more keys stopped working. I pulled the battery and waited longer, and that seems to have worked, for now. One possible option: I have an Otterbox case and noticed when I was talking on the phone that it was getting quite warm... I haven't put the case back on it yet and it hasn't frozen up. Maybe it was overheating? I'm afraid to put the case back on now! I hope this is temporary because I really love this phone and don't want to give it up. 

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

I have the same issue as others.  I bought a Torch a couple of days ago.  I also bought the holster.  The day after I bought the Torch it kept locking up.  The screen would work, but none of the buttons.  I had to take the battery out to reset it.  Since that day I have not used the holster and the phone has worked perfectly.  It is irritating that the designer/developer couldn't get this right.  Now I need to find an after market holster that will work. 

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: MTN

I found issues with the BB Torch within a few days of receiving the handset  - which I have now owned for one month.

- The keyboard freezes - including some of the touch screen features.  This has happened several times but is usually sorted out after taking the battery out and replacing it a while later.

- I have had problems accessing the internet with complete 3G signal.

- when connected to my vehicle through blue tooth I cannot accept calls, the callers either cannot hear me or the call is disconnected.  I have no problem making calls though.

- now.... after not being able to charge my phone on time, the battery went flat and since then I cannot get my phone to turn on - even after several charging sessions.  I have yet to try a new battery though.  

So, if it is a software issue -  without being able to turn the handset on - how would one sort the issues out?

So dismayed (specially as this handset did not come cheap, and my husband wanted me to get the I-phone)

???

My Device: blackberry torch 9800
My Carrier: bell

I have had my phone for three months and have had the same problem. I have constantly been pulling out the battery and replacing it and it started to come more frequently. As of now I cannot use my phone what so ever. My phone is up to date and because I had a password of my phone i cannot get into it at all. I can only recieve calls when i flip my bold up but i cannot hang up

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

I switched the Torch holster with a Curve holster and now everything works fine. 

New Contributor

I own a BB Torch for about 3 months now which I purchased in Mia @ best buy when I was on vacation there. But I Live abroad now thinking the best place to get my BB is in USA itself. Unluckily I already have problems with the device and can't return it or sth cuz I dunno when i get there soon. Most of the time the warranty is limited and not handy if u live abroad. The problem with my device: the keys or not responding non of them and the trackpad is not fuctioning well. pulling the battery in and out didn't solve the problem. it must ne a technical problem. please help!
New Contributor

I own a BB Torch for about 3 months now which I purchased in Mia @ best buy when I was on vacation there. But I Live abroad now thinking the best place to get my BB is in USA itself. Unluckily I already have problems with the device and can't return it or sth cuz I dunno when i get there soon. Most of the time the warranty is limited and not handy if u live abroad. The problem with my device: the keys or not responding non of them and the trackpad is not fuctioning well. pulling the battery in and out didn't solve the problem. it must ne a technical problem. please help!

I recently bought a Torch 9800 from AT&T with the latest 6.0 software and had been having the same problem with buttons locking and having to pull the battery to reset the phone.  I followed your advice and stopped using my 9800 case and switched back to using my Curve case and haven't had the problem since.  In my "case" the case was the issue.  An IT friend of mine said that the magnet in the case is too big and located in the wrong spot, interfering with the phone.

A great smartphone now.  Lose the case!