Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tourch - 9800
My Carrier: Consumer Cellular

Blackberry Torch Network Signaling - ATT to Straight Talk or Verizon

[ Edited ]

I have a Blackberry Torch 9800, from EVERYTHING I've read it has GSM signaling as it is on an ATT network.  I'd like to move it to the "Straight Talk" network by purchasing a "Straight Talk" SIM card to move it to their network of which suposidly is GSM. However, everyone has indicated that this phone WILL NOT work on the Straight Talk network.

In addition, I'm assuming that if I unlock my "Blackberry Torch 9800" there's NO WAY to convert or program it to work with a CDMA, i.e a CDMA network such as Verizon's?

Can anyone shed some light on this and explain "Techinally" why or why not it would or would not work? I understand the difference between CDMA and a GSM network, but wonder why one would make a phone that can't be accessed from one or the other type of networks?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.  I love my Blackberry and REALLY DON'T want too purchase a new phone just change service providers.  My service from ATT is so bad that I've actually gone to a cheap Samsung phone and had to install a "Land Line" just to make and receive calls where I live. 

Thanks,

David

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Blackberry Torch Network Signaling - ATT to Straight Talk or Verizon

Are there any restrictions?
No Refunds will be issued for this SIM Card or Service Card purchases. You will need a compatible GSM AT&T or T-Mobile phone. You may also use an Unlocked GSM phone compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile. This program/offering does not work with Straight Talk, TracFone, NET10, SafeLink, BlackBerry and/or CDMA phones. To Activate your service, you will need a Service Card. You may purchase a Service Card with a Debit card or Credit card. APN (Access Point Name) data settings must be updated on your phone. These settings can be found on our website at apn.straighttalksim.com. Updating your APN settings does not guarantee MMS (Multimedia/Picture Messaging) will work. MMS is dependent upon your phone model’s limitations.

http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Teaboy1748, I've seen and read that paragraph before, but I'm still confused as it indicates the following: You will need a compatible GSM AT&T or T-Mobile phone. You may also use an Unlocked GSM phone compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile.  I HAVE an ATT - GSM Blackberry.

To me,  the next paragraph sort of contrdicts the aforementioned sentance: "This program/offering does not work with Straight Talk, TracFone, NET10, SafeLink, BlackBerry and/or CDMA phones" 

So I guess we can assume that NO Blackberry phone will work with the "Straight Talk" network or just CDMA phones?  

So is the "transceiver circutry" (hardware, firmware and software) in my Blackberry idesigned and made Specifically for a GSM network?

Just curioius?

Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Seems like the Support page has not been update yet.

Under the Shop page they have the updated 

No Refunds will be issued for this SIM Card or Service Card purchases. You will need a compatible GSM T-Mobile phone.  You may also use an Unlocked GSM phone compatible with T-Mobile. This program/offering does not work with Straight Talk, TracFone, NET10, SafeLink, BlackBerry and/or CDMA phones. To Activate your service, you will need a Service Card. You may purchase a Service Card with a Debit card or Credit card. APN (Access Point Name) data settings must be updated on your phone.  These settings can be found on our website atapn.straighttalksim.com. Updating your APN settings does not guarantee MMS (Multimedia/Picture Messaging) will work.  MMS is dependent upon your phone model’s limitations.

You will have to contact StrightTalk for support on the  Techinally details.

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: at&t

did you ever get a response to this question?  i too have a blackberry torch that i love.  my at&t plan expires today and i planned on porting my number to straight talk and keeping the same phone.  customer service (via email) indicates it does not support blackberry which is crazy given the fact that they are selling a blackberry pearl on the 'buy a phone" section of the straight talk website . . . .  

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Schampion, NO!, I never got an answer to the question.  Everyone just copied the verbiage from the "Straight-Talk" website that indicated that it would NOT support Blackberry.

What I REALLY wanted is for someone to ALSO explain to me "technically" i.e. Signaling protocol why my BB Torch would not work with Straight-Talk/GSM Network.  I would have thought that "someone" here on the BB site would have some knowledge as to whether or not there's some kind of proprietary software within the BB that the Service Provider MUST also have incorporated in order for the BB Torch to work on their network.  I have the suspicion that it might work if you unlocked your BB Torch and could re-program it to that specific Service Provider.

With that said, I'm sorry to say "NO!" I never got an answer.

Good luck, if you find out more that me PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

David

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Straight Talk

Hey guys, I've got a Tour 9630 that I originally had on Verizion, and I read this same info and was a bit perplexed by it because, as youv'e pointed out blackberys with GSM capability can work on other networks. In the past I experimented with using this Tour on T-Mobile, and it worked great, but only for talking.

I decided to just experiment and try a month on Strait Talk, so I just bought the GSM kit and 1 month activation card. 

So, far here's what works. 

Talking. No Problems.

Texting (SMS/MMS) you bet! 

Network connection... nope not yet. 

I've only had it activated about a day now, and honestly the signal is pretty weak at my place, but I'm going to keep trying to read and figure out if there is something special I need to do to get the data to work.

Maybe it won't, but I when I chatted with a Straight talk rep, they said the device wouldn't work at all on their network, but it clearly does, and I was pretty confident the Normal Talk would. I was plesently surprised to see the SMS worked fine, and if I can figure out teh network settings and get data and configure my email, it'll be a total victory.

Contributor

Re: Blackberry Torch Network Signaling - UPDATE

I've sort of done the same thing. Let me state first that I love my Black Berry Torch, but it became a paper weight as my service in Illinois was horrible with ATT so I installed a land line just so I could make calls.  Unlike most CELL phone users, since I had a land line now, I utilize less than 100-200 minutes a month. So once my contract with ATT was up I started searching for a different carrier.  I did a bunch of research on service providers that I could use my GSM Black Berry with.  I actually did a GOOGLE search for "cheap cell phone service".  Long story short, I moved my service to "Consumer Cellular", however I have NO data plan.  And, ironically "Consumer Cellular" utilizes ATT's network in some places. Here's the "KICKER" I'm NOW paying $20.29 a month for 250 minutes of use.  WHOO-HOO!

My cell phone still doesn't work well when I'm at home, but ironically works quite well ( three to four bars of signal) once I get a mile or so away from my home.  Therefore its GREAT and CHEAP to use when I'm out and about. Oh yea, "YES" I can send and receive "TEXT Messages" at NO additional charge.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Straight Talk

Re: Blackberry Torch Network Signaling - UPDATE

So, more info concerning using a Blackberry Tour on Straight Talk. 1st, a clarification. Only SMS works, not MMS since I'm having issues connecting to the network. It seems like it will only connect in 2G, and not 3G, which may be one issue for the network issues. I read up and set the APN, which is required to get the network working. Not sure if there is something else, or maybe Straight Talk doesn't have a deal to work with ATT 3G? I'm going to keep trying it out for the month, but if it can't connect to 3G network, then it may not be worth while for me.