Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: Blackberry Torch and WiFi

curious: yesterday i got my first torch (to develop sw for)

and there are problems with wifi

if downloading something always fails with timeouts -

same from Bold works well

all other wlan devices also work well

tested yesterday and today - always the same: wifi seems to work and then suddenly no traffic from device and timeouts

restarting router doesnt help

frustrating

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Digi

Hi I just recently got my Torch. I have a problem as I am not able to browse using wifi without my 3G connected. Is there a way around this as it would be really useful to be able to use browse with wifi especially when I am roaming. 

My Device: BB Torch

dexscom wrote:

Hi I just recently got my Torch. I have a problem as I am not able to browse using wifi without my 3G connected. Is there a way around this as it would be really useful to be able to use browse with wifi especially when I am roaming. 

OMG... I thought i was the only one with this problem... HELP US!!

frustrating!!!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Im facing the same problem too,not able to browse through my home Wi-Fi,donno wat to do.....its a shame that BB does not have customer service with a reachable phone no..

Nokia's r far way better tham BB,there wont be any technical problem with nokias,and there is customer service which is vry easy to reach.....

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Yes, it seems that Blackberry Torch Wi-Fi is unusable on many many home wi-fi and for no real reason.

Lots of reasons and excuses but bottom line is that it just drops out with any router with any encryption any distance from transmitter. 

I found it works "OK" on the train so you explain that one.  Except that the train Wi-Fi is generally provided by T-Mobile which is a telecoms company as a hot spot.

I am yet to meet someone who has it working correctly,  most people have given up and as the 3G works pretty well they can use that. 

"Begin Conspiracy Theory"

A Vodafone guy said to me that they did not want it work as it will reduce reliance on buying into their network and impact their business model.  I guess that is a bit like music shops where you download a track from iTunes etc not needing to go to a shop any more

"End"

Now either everyone I talk to about Wi-Fi is stupid  ( which I don't think ) or its broken (software or hardware).  

I have tried other handsets, gift of my network provider and their warranty budget and I can't sit on hold to RIM as they don't seem to want to help.

Is there anyone out there who can make a difference (said in an echoey voice into a tunnel)

I was a RIM customer for many years and they really do have to wake up a little more to domestic customer support. I know they have historically been a company who support businesses and not end users but if they want to compete then they have to start waking up.  There are too many other devices that do the same thing and much better and certainly more styled.

I feel like a traitor but needs must and despite people being locked into contracts, give it a few years and I cant't see them coming back.

Rant over..

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodacom

Funny how the site that came preloaded as a link on my phone (myweb.360.com vodaphone) always loads but nothing else wants to... 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at my thread solving my WiFi issue.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Netgear-WVPN824-WiFi-issue-co...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I cant quite see what your trying to say are you just saying QOS settings or am I missing a page in your detail?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

QOS, Encryption type, and 5 ghz N can cause issues.

I added in a piece of info to my thread.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hi,

Yes I am already at the same except that I am using WEP (as of today).  My router does support all the other encryption methods but non of those work either.  I have tried a Linksys, Netgear and a D-Link all with no real success and reliability.  I have a few different handsets but non of them works in my opinion what I call reliably. If I connect my friends HTC its just like using a PC.  If there was a reccomended router list I would go out and get one tomorrow.