Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: FIDO

Blackberry Torch 'insert sim card' problem..

My Torch 9800 now always says 'insert sim card' and only SOS calls can be made. Frustating to be sure as I can't use my phone anymore.

Unfortunately, the phone is from ATT in the US, and I'm on FIDO in Canada. I haven't been able yet to confirm whether I have a faulty sim card or if the phone is no longer working. If it's no longer working, how (and is it possible) to get warranty work done on it?

I'm thinking that I'm out of luck being in Canada and the phone purchased through ATT in the US (and I'm not going back down there anytime soon). Heck, I can't even find my reciept anymore Smiley Sad

Anyone have other thoughts?

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Torch 'insert sim card' problem..

wanton007 wrote:

I'm thinking that I'm out of luck being in Canada and the phone purchased through ATT in the US (and I'm not going back down there anytime soon).

Yep, unfortunately, correct. The warranty resides with the autthorized retail carrier/seller, so when you remove the device from their network and unlock it to use on another network, you've violated the contract and the warranty ATT supports is no longer valid.

Regardless, though, you should remove and reinsert the SIM card. Clean the contacts gently with a soft cloth like lens cleaner, no liquids or alcohol. Or your shirt sleeve Smiley Happy

If still no go, replace or try another SIM. That usually works.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: FIDO

I've tried removing / re-inserting my sim card, along with many other sim cards and no such luck. So for now, I'm stuck using an 8700r which is not very likeable / enjoyable at all.

I'm thinking perhaps there is a hardware problem so I'm going to have to get it to a shop to see if the sim card reader has gone?

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi,

Did you have any luck? I am having similar problem with my torch - it worked on my networked for 1 day but now says Insert Sim Card.

I have tried many sim cards but no luck.

Thanks

My Carrier: Singtel

Having this problem also.

I don't know why all of a sudden after several days of not using my Torch, when I placed back my sim card it gave me the "insert sim card" prompt on top of the screen.  I took out my sim about 5 days ago to use my Bold 9700 first then when I want to use my Torch this problem came up.

Did a software flashing, security wipe... but no luck! Smiley Sad 

Would appreciate any help you guys can provide.

My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi,

I had to replace the Sim Card reader. Costed me £45 pounds, it seems to be a hardware issue.

If you purchased this from a service provider or a retial store, it should be covered under warranty. If you purchased it off gumtree, or ebay, unless the seller can give you a receipt, blackberry wont look at it. You have to take it back to the place you purchased it.

Hope that helps.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hi.. had same problem with mine.... I took it out and cleaned it using pencil eraser and reinserted it... same problem (inert SIM card). Took it to nearest Bell Mobility store and they replaced it no problem. All is good.  ;-)

My Device: torch
My Carrier: us celluar

my bb torch states insert sim card ...sos calls only but my problem us cellular phones dont use sim cards so not sure y this happened any help would be great

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Mentari

maybe it's too late, but i have the same problem like this, and i found this
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111008171651AACRxhi

and it's work.
My Carrier: Airtel

Chill people! Yu don't have to do anything! Just take a piece of tiny paper . Fold in and along with your sim card push it in . Make sure that yu don't put in the golden part . Just put it , so that the sim fits tightly in the sim tray! This will work a 100%sure! I'm using it by that oly!