Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Torch will not reboot

UberschallSamsara wrote:

I don't get what you mean by having the device OS "installed" on my PC.  Do you just mean downloaded in some place where the launcher utility can find it?

You download the OS file.

You double click on the downloaded file to install it.

You're a developer right? Sorry if I was not specific enough, I just assumed you would know this. Details below.

Follow these simple installation instructions.

1. Download the OS file to the PC (link above) then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I've only done PlayBook development to date.  Plus a few "hello world" examples on the phones.  I haven't had to do a clean phone OS install yet so I didn't realize you had to run an installer program on the PC before installing to the phone.

Any further suggestions about safe boot?  My first choice would obviously be to safe boot and delete the Reuters app that caused this problem.   Reuters.  You'd think their app would install pretty clean.

Also, can BBSAK get in there and help me save data even though the phone is in a reboot loop?  I have backups of most of my data but there are some recent photos that aren't backed up, that I'd rather not lose.

Developer

BTW if I just double click the Loader.exe it appears that it starts up with a JVM, vs. the /nojvm option you mentioned in your comments earlier in this thread.  

Developer

So any tips/tricks/suggestions for how to get this device to safe boot?  It's amazing to me that simply installing what's very likely a simple content query and rendering app like Reuters off of App World could result in the device being so hosed that I'd have to go through a recovery procedure that involves destroying my data.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sure, if you can get the device not to reboot and connect with BBSAK, and remove the Reuters cod file from the device.

These KB directions have always worked for me to boot up in safe mode.

Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Developer

Just to note the closure on this for anyone finding this thread later in a search:

I was able to get BBSAK to hook the device after a few tries, and subsequently could delete the offending .COD and regain normal boot behavior from the device w/out having to do a wipe and reinstall.  Thanks for help & suggestions; much appreciated.