Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Blackberry Torch will not sync or backup with laptop

HELP! I have tried to install the Blackberry 6 desktop tools. However, it install, but when I connect the phone to the laptop by USB - the sections are 'greyed out' for example backup music; videa; calender tools etc. In addition to this once I close the desktop tool application my laptop then hangs and puts itself into 'safe mode'. Has anybody else come across this, and 'what am I doing WRONG' ?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Torch will not sync or backup with laptop

I am having the same problem.  I tried to back up my curve so I could switch devices; the error recieved was that my laptop was malfunctioned and didn't recognize the driver.  I researched online and found that the desktop software had a bug and I needed to uninstall and reinstall - I did just what the instructions said..my curve will now work but the torch still will not.  I have tried 3 different computers and nothing will work.  Have you had any luck?

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

It could mean that the USB-ports are already "taken" of in use (in the background).

You could try this :

- go to your device manager

- double click on USB Host Controller

- go to driver tab

- uninstall all drivers

Don"t worry, this will not delete any drivers, just reset it.

If this does not help, maybe you could check if there's an (windows) update for your laptop.

Good luck

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the tip!

That helped connect back to the Curve so I have it backed up..but it still doesn't recognize the torch. Any other suggestions?