Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Blackberry Update - Advisable or Not?

Model: Blackberry 9300

V5.0.0.977

I was using the Blackberry Desktop Software and as I was connecting my device to my computer it automatically prompted that software update V6.0.0.+++ was available.

I would like to ask you opinion if it is advisable to update the this new software update or just stay as is with my current version V5.0.0977?  What was your experience after updating? What are the benefits of the updates and is it working properly?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 3G 9330
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Update - Advisable or Not?

Hi,

I received the update for my BB also, but I continued to stay with my OS 5. I've only had my phone for about 3 months, and have been happy with it, so I figured why switch?

I will let you know that I looked up OS 6 online, to see what the difference was and the best comparison was a youtube video, a short one (sorry I don't have the link) but it gave me enough ideas where I'd prefer to keep my OS 5 instead. I had just typed in my model BB with OS upgrade into the search portion. 

Good luck with your decision! 

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi

There have been some issues with OS 6, it being new. Some people love it, others don't. It seems to me to be a personal choice which you cannot make without trying it.

I would try it; you can always revert to OS 5 if you don't like it.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Cricket

My Blackberry Curve prompted me to update to the new version last week and ever since it has been draining my battery like crazy. My battery drains completely in like 3 hours now by just sitting idle.  This sucks major **bleep**.

Is there a way to undo the update? This sucks!

Forums Veteran I

SinCityExaminer wrote:

My Blackberry Curve prompted me to update to the new version last week and ever since it has been draining my battery like crazy. My battery drains completely in like 3 hours now by just sitting idle.  This sucks major **bleep**.

Is there a way to undo the update? This sucks!

This what I did to completely wipe my BB. I wrote this before starting and printed it off.

If your device is functioning, perform a backup now if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software (DTS)
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps.

1) Download JL_Cmder from http://www.4shared.com/get/oqP9V-2Q/JL_Cmder_v19.html

2) Install JL_Cmder to computer.

3) Double check you have already backed-up the BB. If you DO NOT, you will lose ALL data.

4) Make sure the DTS is closed and plug in the BB to computer via USB

5) Go to the JL_Cmder on your computer and double click it to start. Now,this may take a few tries to connect, so keep trying until it does.

6) On the first screen, Press any key to continue.

7) Now, if your device uses a password, enter it now. If not, press "N"

8) Press 4 to initiate the WIPE

9) Press "Y" to continue

10) Now type "blackberry" to continue

11) On the BB you will see a white screen with a'507' Error. Don't worry, this is what you want! You are now ready to install the OS.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1). On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Device > Update my device.

2). Click View Other Versions. Click the version of the new OS you previously downloaded.

3). Click Install. The DTM will install the OS and then provide you with a list of applications to install. If you have had difficulties with an app, do not install it.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Thank you for sharing your experience, I have the same situation also with the battery but unlike yours mine was able to last for a day, so I have to recharge during night time always.

My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Cricket

Since there is supposedly a way to revert back to the prior OS before the update, how is this done rather than wiping the unit?

Forums Veteran I

SinCityExaminer wrote:

Since there is supposedly a way to revert back to the prior OS before the update, how is this done rather than wiping the unit?

The action of wiping literally removes all traces of whatever was on the device to permit a "clean" reinstall.

In the part of the instructions above is a link to the BB software throughout the world by geographical region and carrier. Go to your own carrier and see what they are offering. I know some offer OS 4, 5 and 6 and some, like Verizon may only offer the latest.

If your carrier doesn't offer the version you want, locate another carrier that does, download it to PC and then using Windows Exployer, locate what you downloaded (NB, it shows as RIM not BB) and delete the vendor.xml file. Then proceed per the instructions.