Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Telus

Blackberry Upgrade

Being an owner and loyal user of Blackberry Smartphones, I have been contemplating on upgrading to a Blackberry Bold 9790. As of now I have a Blackberry Curve 9360 and I have to say I like it a lot especially when I first bought the phone a few months ago. I now what to upgrade to a Blackberry with a touch screen and I have choosen to possibly go for a 9790.

Reason for not going for a 9900, 9810, or 9860 is because majority of my friends that own a Blackberry have those devices and I personally want have a different phone.

Whoever owns a Blackberry Bold 9790, can you please tell me how the phone performs overall and if it is worth the upgrade from a Curve 9360.

Another question is:  Does the Bold 9790 get the OS 7.1 Update?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

Re: Blackberry Upgrade

Hi mtoby.

I have not used the 9790, but three of my friends also wanted an alternative to the 9900. They really enjoy the experience. The 9790 does have access to 7.1 The latest version being 7.1.0.336. I cannot say if it would be worth it for you to upgrade from your current device. It would if you are looking for a device with a touchscreen. We are starting to use the 9360 at work. They seem like solid entry level models.
New Contributor

Hello Esperoni,

Thank you for repsonding to my message I posted a few minutes ago. I have been researching and trying to look for articles/reviews that would confirm an OS 7.1 for the Bold 9790 for weeks already!

To comment on the Curve 9360, it is without a doubt solid smartphone for the regular business and consumer user.

Another thought that I did not think about before is that RIM has and is going to be announcing the future release of the new Blackberry 10 Devices and Blackberry OS 10 at the Blackberry Convention in Orlando, Florida this coming May 1st-3rd. In say that, I am leaning more towards just saving the money and holding it off to see what RIM has to offer later this year.

Best regards,

Matthew Tobias

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

[ Edited ]

Hi Matthew,

Yes, an official version of 7.1 has been released by Telenor Norway.

Well, the way I look at it is, if it is not broken, then why fix it? If the upgrade to a 9790 is not a need right at the moment, I don't see anything wrong with waiting for BB10 to hit (Maybe November-December) If you can hold off that long.

I am waiting to see what BB10 looks like as well. I do have a 9900 (very happy with it btw) and I figure I don't have to grab a BB10 device right away (depending on many factors)

Difficult choice to be sure. At least wait a month to maybe catch a glimpse of the new OS at the convention.

Cheers,
Edward

New Contributor

Hello Esperoni,

I will just wait for the release of Blackberry 10 Devices/ OS 10 now. Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it!

Best regards,

Matthew Tobias